• Register
  • Help

Topic: Strad for ensemble building?

Share/Bookmark

Strad for ensemble building?

Forgive please if this is a dumb question. My Strad is in the mail, and I'm excited to get started with it. My question: would this instrument lend itself to ensemble building, a la the solo strings in GPO? Anybody tried this?

Merry Christmas to all!
    Clay

Re: Strad for ensemble building?

Hi Clay,

I am using strad for the violin 1 and 2 parts in a string ensemble I am building. I am using it with the GPO solo violas, cello and bass. It gives you a lot more options than the solo violins in GPO - but most importantly you can completely control the vibrato.

Cheers
    Kenny

Re: Strad for ensemble building?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Long
    Hi Clay,

I am using strad for the violin 1 and 2 parts in a string ensemble I am building. I am using it with the GPO solo violas, cello and bass. It gives you a lot more options than the solo violins in GPO - but most importantly you can completely control the vibrato.

Cheers
    Kenny
    Thanks, Kenny. I guess the issue is CPU and RAM horsepower. I did get a nice blend putting two instances of the Strad over a string sample that comes with Logic Vienna Symphony sample I think. Can't play with GPO sounds yet until it can work with my Intel MAC) The vibrato on the Strads sounded quite nice as solos over the section, but not as part of the section. Also tried cloning a track of the strad and playing it as a unison, but it sounded yucky--as if the vibratos were phasing each other, or something. It worked best when i gave the Strad separate 1 and 2 parts.

Read your thread in the General Discussion forum with great interest. Excellent discussion. Good luck with your most-challenging Sondheim project!

Go Back to forum