• Register
  • Help

Topic: If the CPU is dead ... ? (help diagnose)

Share/Bookmark

If the CPU is dead ... ? (help diagnose)

...will anything on the motherboard ( any fans ) spin?

There's no p.o.s.t. beep and no beep codes happening.
    The fans don't even do that little 1 second jerk that sometimes happens.
    CMOS has been reset with the jumper.

The last symptom that I saw was that the power light on the front of the case
    was blinking but nothing spins.

I've tried 2 different power supplies, 2 different video cards, 3 different sticks of ram,
    all known good components.
    ...all done while it's outside of the case sitting on the antistat bag.

I'm hoping not to have to test this CPU in my other ( exactly the same ) motherboard.

Any thoughts? Thanks,

Re: If the CPU is dead ... ? (help diagnose)

It's very rare for CPU's to go bad. In the 15 years I've been a computer tech I've only run across one bad CPU. Chances are you have a bad motherboard. Tried removing any PCI boards and memory chips one at a time to see if you can get it to boot. Also reseat any connectors.

Jim

Agreed. CPUs have temp sensors these days. If they start to cook, they shut themselves down before being fried. And if they don't overheat, what else would fry it?

I can think of only one other thing: too much voltage, but that would be caused by a bad... motherboard.

Almost certainly it's a motherboard problem, and there is a smaller possibility that the CPU was killed in the process.

Best of luck!

Here is what I would try 1. go to your motherboards site and find out how to reset the bios to its original state..(probably remove cmos battery and set a jumper and then reset jumper to run and replace cmos battery..also check cmos battery charge with multimeter..2.Reflash updated bios...check power supply voltage with a multimeter...3. if you have 15 bucks and can wait a week or so for ebay buy a PCI Post Diagnostic Card to put in your dead (or not dead) computer to check the motherboard, cpu , capacitors ect..4. If you have made an emergancy boot floppy to boot your computer then try that..5.. Did a short develop in a power surge protector..check input power..6..Is every thing plugged in on the motherboard..7.Buy some cpu thermal paste and remove your cpu heat sink and look at the top of the cpu to see if it is burnt..repaste and reinstall if not burnt.(can reach 500 to 600 degreess with a fan not working..do not apply very much leverage to remove the heat sink (how good was your heat sink and fan) fragile if it wont come off easy leave it alone)..8. Is your power supply adequate for your system..a new cpu with a couple of sli cards and a couple of hard drives and 4 sticks of ram can consume 475 watts of power (at 70% power supply efficency you would need a 650 watt power supply..most systems consume about 285 watts which implies a 400 watt power supply..9.Full format hard drive and reload windows..10. Does hard drive spin up? boot sector corrupted on hard drive..is bios set up to recognize hard drive..ie..sata scsi ata ect..Mwave.com, tigerdirect.com ebay ect have some very cheap boards and board cpu combos..but if thats the case..you may have to repurchase windows as your would now have a different computer..11 try your hard drive in another machine 12, if you can get a dos promp you can try system restore
    Last edited by andyj; 12-26-2006 at 04:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks all.

All suggestions have been tried other than the post diag. card and since to MoBo is in warranty I'm just gonna send it back.

Much appreciated.

Steve, Could you post detailed specs on you PC, M/B brand bios revision, memory, PS unit etc. Give as much detail as you possibly can.

dd

Go Back to forum