• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pucklechurch Sonata (1st Mvt)

Share/Bookmark

Pucklechurch Sonata (1st Mvt)

A few days ago, I found a score written by a music student from Pucklechurch. The score was interesting, and I found the name Pucklechurch fascinating and quaint, so I began composing a sonata to fit it.

Pucklechurch Sonata (1st Mvt)
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=96851

The mp3 is GPO Steinway.

To listen, just select the mp3 bar near the top. To view, follow the instructions.

Richard

Re: Pucklechurch Sonata (1st Mvt)

Mr. Richard -

I'm at work. My one and only patient is safely sleeping with his heart steadily a-beatin'.

Listening to music on one of my favorite composer forums has been a rare opportunity of late. (Now that I said that, all heck will break loose! )

Anyway. . .

About 3 weeks ago, our happy little ICU/CCU received a brand new computer. Thanks to this new computer (as I am now finding out), I am having an easier time to listen to MP3 files. This is the FIRST time that I am able to visit the Silibus web site (which is housing your composition). I believe that this is the first time that I am able to listen to one of your compositions! (YEA!!) This must be because this computer has permission to "visit" sites like Silibus. (You seem to post most of your works on the Silibus web site. Because of this, I haven't been able to listen to them.)

Well, Mr. Richard, I liked your piece. I like this style of music. And I am grateful to finally have heard one of your pieces!! (YEA!! )

Thank you for sharing!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke
    Mr. Richard -

I'm at work. My one and only patient is safely sleeping with his heart steadily a-beatin'.

Listening to music on one of my favorite composer forums has been a rare opportunity of late. (Now that I said that, all heck will break loose! )

Anyway. . .

About 3 weeks ago, our happy little ICU/CCU received a brand new computer. Thanks to this new computer (as I am now finding out), I am having an easier time to listen to MP3 files. This is the FIRST time that I am able to visit the Silibus web site (which is housing your composition). I believe that this is the first time that I am able to listen to one of your compositions! (YEA!!) This must be because this computer has permission to "visit" sites like Silibus. (You seem to post most of your works on the Silibus web site. Because of this, I haven't been able to listen to them.)

Well, Mr. Richard, I liked your piece. I like this style of music. And I am grateful to finally have heard one of your pieces!! (YEA!! )

Thank you for sharing!

Ted
    Well, I am pleased you like it. I really had fun with this one. Quite often, when I return to a composition, I have no idea of how it came into being, and often enough, I am surprised at what I have done, and how well, or how poorly I have done it. In this case, I remember most of the details reasonably well, especially the last part, where I really had fun plotting all those splashy chords and rhythms! The rest of the sonata will follow in a few days.

I am not able to listen to as much music here as I would like because of a very slow connection, located so far away from a telephone exchange. It took me around an hour to upload this piece! But the redwoods, madrone, laurel, deer, cougars, etc. make it worthwhile!

Richard

Whimsical and downright fun in much of it, Richard.

For sheer flavor, and nicely shaded subtlety, this
    one ranks up there amongst your best piano pieces,
    I think.

You had your tongue in cheek through the whole
    thing, now, didn't you... lol?

Again, I had a much stronger sense of tonal
    orientation in this one than in much of your previous
    work. If that's where you're headed, my ear says
    it's a good road.

I like the tailpiece on it, by the way; but maybe
    drop the dynamics just a hair, there.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Whimsical and downright fun in much of it, Richard.

For sheer flavor, and nicely shaded subtlety, this
    one ranks up there amongst your best piano pieces,
    I think.

You had your tongue in cheek through the whole
    thing, now, didn't you... lol?

Again, I had a much stronger sense of tonal
    orientation in this one than in much of your previous
    work. If that's where you're headed, my ear says
    it's a good road.

I like the tailpiece on it, by the way; but maybe
    drop the dynamics just a hair, there.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Well, you got it. It was not that I deliberately set out to be more tonal any more than I previously set out to be less tonal. That is just what seemed to fit this idea the best. You are also right about the dynamics at the end. My next audio version will soften it a bit.

I really had fun with this one, and enjoyed it so much that I spent plenty of time listening to it. The second movement is about half done, and the final movement is just beginning to find it's way to the manuscript paper.

I will probably listen to it at least twice more before I go to bed!

Go Back to forum