• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: How's this setup?

Share/Bookmark

How's this setup?

Hi there,

After three years of wanting to get into the music production industry (I'm 20), I finally have enough money to get myself the equipment and some of the sound libraries I have dreamt of and wanted.

I have just bought myself a new computer:

-Core 2 duo 1.86Ghz
    -1 GB ram (I may upgrade to 2gb)
    -300GB HD
    -19" widescreen LCD

I have also bought Kontakt 2 and Cubase.

Now, I need a good soundcard - what would you recommend for under $150-200?

Also, my plans are to buy the Sam Master Pack (899 euro).

Bearing in mind I already have the Kontakt 2 base library, what orchestral lib do you think I should also get? Kirk Hunters Emerald? Or EWSO Gold (currently only about $650AUD) I am wanting the rich orchestral sound. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated for around that particular price range.

I'm thinking that along with the Sam master pack and one of the above orchestral libraries, I should have enough sounds under my belt to produce some great sounding pieces.

Many thanks to anyone who can help me out!!

Cheers and a very merry xmas,

Tom

Re: How's this setup?

One major advice I would give you, is to get a second hard disk. One hard disk, with Windows, Cubase, K2, and all sample libraries on will crumble almost immediately. I have two and still wish I had a third to place all the audio (WAV) files... (Also the 1 gig seems kinda small, so you will need to bounce to audio, or freeze quite a lot, but of course it depends on the way you work and the projects you work with)

I work with EWQLSO Gold, and I do reccomend it, but I've not played with Kirk Hunter, and I have heard some very good demos from it. The thing with Gold, which I always tell everyone (although there seem to be some ways around it), is that it comes with the F position mics, which means that the microphones were not close but at a distance of...10 m more or less. They have also added the natural reverb (release tails). While this makes the library ready to play out of the box, it has a very definite and precise (and well known) sound which can be a bad thing. You can't write very easily chamber music, for example with it, or small passages, and stuff like that, you need Platinum. But again, I like it a lot and do recomend it for a full sound.

If you want more demos from Gold, check my website (...provided as a "normal" user and not from a high end studio, or straight from Nick Phoenix).

Also please, do wait for Kirk Hunter users to come along and give you their opinion. I do believe that Opus 1 (and 2) are close to that price you're after from VSL, but could be mistaken... :-/

Happy holidays to you too

Talking Re: How's this setup?

yo ho ho and a bottle of Rum 'er ooops HO HO Merry Christmass!!!

Alright man I would get a EMU 1212M it has some Kick A***! Converters sounds great and is in your price range. Sample Libs you could get GPO, Kirk Hunter etc. Get GPO and you have access to an amazing community of people willing to share ideas and help you, also it will start you on the road towards midi programing with controllers, and you can use it in K2, let's not forget it's cheap too! Building ensembles will allow you tons of Flexibility in your arrangements and production. Just look at this Board and all that happens with the Lib!
    Yes anything by Sam is Great!

Like what Muesumoftechno say! Cheers to the Sherry!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    One major advice I would give you, is to get a second hard disk. One hard disk, with Windows, Cubase, K2, and all sample libraries on will crumble almost immediately. I have two and still wish I had a third to place all the audio (WAV) files... (Also the 1 gig seems kinda small, so you will need to bounce to audio, or freeze quite a lot, but of course it depends on the way you work and the projects you work with)

So I should use one hard disk for windows/apps, and another purely for samples?

A couple recommendations; go to 2GB of RAM. With any modern sound libraries, 1GB won't go far Even 2GB can be maxed out *fast*. For a soundcard, try something in the EMU line, such as the 0404 ($100) or the 1212M ($150). QLSO Gold is a fine addition to your setup, you might want to shop around though. I think you can get it for less than $650 AUD - check eBay shops. It's great for just composing stuff that will sound good right out of the box (though it doesn't work for everything).
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Aversa
    QLSO Gold is a fine addition to your setup, you might want to shop around though. I think you can get it for less than $650 AUD - check eBay shops. It's great for just composing stuff that will sound good right out of the box (though it doesn't work for everything).
    I've tried looking around for it - even on Ebay. I can't seem to find any ebay stores or any other places that sell it for under AUD$650. Can you point me in a direction??!! (Maybe I'm just blind)

Cheers,
    Tom

And I presume that QLSO Gold sounds good mixed with Project Sam libraries?

Cheers,
    Tom

Tom:

Yes that's what I mean. Samples will be streaming (DFD) from your hard disk in most cases (except maybe GPO?), so you will need the full power of the hard disk, without any hurdles on it. Of course we're talking baout SATA (or RAID), and 10,000 rpm...

BTW, E-bay is a bad advice, imo. Sample libraries cannot be resold, and need to be registered. Any second hand (ok 99%) sample library is BAD. The stores advertising in E-bay are a different story. Just a clarification.

EDIT: yes EW and Project Sam sound good together

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wrench
    So I should use one hard disk for windows/apps, and another purely for samples?
    That is correct. All you need is a smaller HD for OS and applications and a large drive for samples. You definitely do not want to read the samples from C drive. Later on you could invest in another drive for audio. That is if the Motherboard could support more drives. Not sure what kind of M/B you have.

I started out with 2 drives and now I have 6. This is probably an overkill, but you should atleast have 2 drive for a DAW. Windows tweaks would help as well.

Here is the configuration of one of my music PC.

HD1 (80 GB) - Windows XP and applications
    HD2 (80 GB) - Convolution related files (Reverb)
    HD3 (80 GB) - Audio capture and Cubase file
    HD4 (74 GB raptor)- Piano samples only
    HD5 (350 GB) - All other sample Libs
    HD6 - Removable Drive for storage and backup

Hope this information helps

6 drives? LOL dude just get USB 2 external drives get 300 gigs your fine.
    also learn to walk before you learn to run. You going to be doing tons of pro work right way or are you getting your feet wet. Then Really go with something like GPO the added user base and info on orchestrating and creating realistic mochups will help you a lot. But hey have fun! Becarful what you spend your money on NAMM is right around the corner!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Go Back to forum