• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: Finale 2006, GPO, and SoundFonts

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Finale 2006, GPO, and SoundFonts

    Is it possible to use the GPO and SoundFonts simultaneously in Finale 2006?

    I've tried everything I could think of, but when you engage the VST/GPO, it appears to disable/ignore any MIDI source.

    Would there be a VST wrapper or some such to accomplish this?

    Thanks!

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  2. #2

    Re: Finale 2006, GPO, and SoundFonts

    At present, the only way to use GPO and soundfonts simultaneously, is to play GPO through an external VST host, like Studio. Or you can use a host, that can host various VSTi plugins, i.e. GPO and a soundfont player.

  3. #3

    Re: Finale 2006, GPO, and SoundFonts

    Thanks much, Nickie.

    I am not very well versed, technically, in this whole end of things.

    Would you know of a free or low-cost host/wrapper I could use with a SoundFont? I need to get a choral SoundFont working... and currently work solely with Finale (no "Studio" or other software, etc.).

    Thank you again!

    Best,

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  4. #4

    Re: Finale 2006, GPO, and SoundFonts

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Is it possible to use the GPO and SoundFonts simultaneously in Finale 2006?

    I've tried everything I could think of, but when you engage the VST/GPO, it appears to disable/ignore any MIDI source.

    Would there be a VST wrapper or some such to accomplish this?

    Thanks!

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .
    I have wanted to use GPO, VDL2 (NI VST program) and the MakeMusic soundfont included in Finale all in the same document. In a VDL2 forum, I was told this, although I have not yet had a chance to try it:

    "You may consider upgrading to Kontakt 2. It will load instruments from VDL2 as well as GPO, and you could use it to import the synthgms.sf2 file which is basically the GM soundfont that comes with Finale. Doing it that way, you'd simply be running it via an NI plug-in, rather than via Finale's SoundSynth.

    Another benefit to using K2 is that each it will allow for more channel outputs than the Kontakt Player which only allows 8 channels per instance."

  5. #5

    Re: Finale 2006, GPO, and SoundFonts

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoffman
    I have wanted to use GPO, VDL2 (NI VST program) and the MakeMusic soundfont included in Finale all in the same document. In a VDL2 forum, I was told this, although I have not yet had a chance to try it:

    "You may consider upgrading to Kontakt 2. It will load instruments from VDL2 as well as GPO, and you could use it to import the synthgms.sf2 file which is basically the GM soundfont that comes with Finale. Doing it that way, you'd simply be running it via an NI plug-in, rather than via Finale's SoundSynth.

    Another benefit to using K2 is that each it will allow for more channel outputs than the Kontakt Player which only allows 8 channels per instance."
    Thanks, Dave.

    But I don't really want to put out $600 for Kontakt2 right now -- to get a choir pad... lol. If I had the dollars, I'd probably go a little more for E/W Symphonic Choirs, which I think includes the NI player and which Finale says they support.

    It seems really strange that Finale 2006 shuts off access to MIDI when you use the GPO with it...

    Is there some sensible technical reason for this? It tends to really throw a monkey wrench in the works.

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  6. #6

    Re: Finale 2006, GPO, and SoundFonts

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Thanks, Dave.

    But I don't really want to put out $600 for Kontakt2 right now -- to get a choir pad... lol. If I had the dollars, I'd probably go a little more for E/W Symphonic Choirs, which I think includes the NI player and which Finale says they support.

    It seems really strange that Finale 2006 shuts off access to MIDI when you use the GPO with it...

    Is there some sensible technical reason for this? It tends to really throw a monkey wrench in the works.

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .
    I can't remember what I paid for Kontakt2 but I know it wasn't $600. There was an upgrade path for those with NI players.

  7. #7

    Re: Finale 2006, GPO, and SoundFonts

    If you already own a NI sampler (like GPO, VDL2, etc.) K2 is available as a "crossgrade" for considerably less than the full version. Or better yet, if you're a teacher/student, the academic version is priced even lower (around $290).
    Jim Casella
    Tapspace

  8. #8

    Re: Finale 2006, GPO, and SoundFonts

    Not sure if this will help. The prices bandied about here seem like the upgrade from K1 to K2. But I could be wrong.

    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=39117

    Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

    My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com


  9. #9

    Re: Finale 2006, GPO, and SoundFonts

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Would you know of a free or low-cost host/wrapper I could use with a SoundFont? I need to get a choral SoundFont working... and currently work solely with Finale (no "Studio" or other software, etc.).
    If you're on PC and don't need more than 32 MIDI channels, free (or low cost, not quite sure how it is these days) SynthFont can do it in connection with MIDI-Yoke or some similar virtual MIDI cable. Just set up tracks in SynthFont, that correspond to the tracks in Finale, with the appropriate SF2/VSTi assignments, set it to input from the 1(or 2) MIDI-Yoke port(s), that you specify as MIDI Out in Finale, and you should be all set to go. But, mind you, this costs CPU power.

  10. #10

    Re: Finale 2006, GPO, and SoundFonts

    Nickie, Tom, thank you *both* so much on this.

    For those of us who are such novices in this field, such generous help from our technically more adept and experienced colleagues is *greatly* appreciated.

    Thank you both, again -- I'll go see if I can figure this out!

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •