• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Decent piano sound? PLEASE HELP!!

Share/Bookmark

Decent piano sound? PLEASE HELP!!

Hi

I'm very new to this board and to using software instruments, so would appreciate some basic advice...

I've just bought Colossus to use as a plug-in in Logic Express. My first problem is that some of the sounds (in particular the 2 GB piano) have some crackles and pops, and generally sound very uneven. I've installed DFD, but the problem is still there. I've tried changing the 'expert settings' in Colossus, but to little effect - I'm not really sure what I'm doing; is there a trick to doing that? Are there any other settings I could try to make the sound better?

My second problem is perhaps related to the first - ignoring the crackles & pops, the piano sounds in Colossus (again, especially the 2 GB piano, but also the rest of them to some extent) are AWFUL - the tones are unreliable, very fake sounding, and the Fazioli sounds extremely dull and muffled. I have very little experience of what sort of quality to expect from this software, but I can't imagine anyone being happy with what I'm hearing (espcially as I have read many excellent reviews). I intend to use the piano sounds mostly for pop styles, and was hoping for a clear and crisp sound. If there is no problem with my settings (and this is actually how the piano sounds are supposed to play - hopefully this is not the case...), can anyone recommend any adjustments I can make to the sound (either using the Kompakt sound adjusters, or using one of the equaliser plug-ins in Logic Express)? I'm a bit lost as to what I should be adjusting and to what extent.

Finally, would Akoustik or Synthogy Ivory (or any other software) get me a better (and clearer) piano sound than Colossus?

Any opinions/advice you could offer would be very much appreciated!

Thank you

iMac G5, 1.5GB Ram, 1.9GHz

Re: Decent piano sound? PLEASE HELP!!

Hi Phil.

Regarding your crackles and pops it sounds as if it may well be a latency issue.

Go to 'Audio Hardware & Drivers' (in the 'Audio' pull down menu at the top of the screen) and make the 'I/O Buffer Size' larger. If it's on 32 change it to 64. If it's on 64 change it to 128, etc, until your problem's fixed.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers,

Nick

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

what genre of music?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B
    The piano sounds in Colossus (again, especially the 2 GB piano, but also the rest of them to some extent) are AWFUL - the tones are unreliable, very fake sounding, and the Fazioli sounds extremely dull and muffled.
    Phil.. hmm I don't have Colossus so I can't say anything about the quality of its pianos but I have to say I'd be very surprised if they were "awful". However one man's "dull and muffled" can be another man's "warm and intimate", so one piano sample definitely doesn't fit all styles and applications...
    I intend to use the piano sounds mostly for pop styles, and was hoping for a clear and crisp sound. If there is no problem with my settings (and this is actually how the piano sounds are supposed to play - hopefully this is not the case...), can anyone recommend any adjustments I can make to the sound (either using the Kompakt sound adjusters, or using one of the equaliser plug-ins in Logic Express)? I'm a bit lost as to what I should be adjusting and to what extent.
    Finally, would Akoustik or Synthogy Ivory (or any other software) get me a better (and clearer) piano sound than Colossus?
    If you're looking for a really crisp and glassy pop/rock piano that can cut thru any mix, nothing beats Sampletekk's "White Grand", IMHO: http://www.sampletekk.com/products.php?cat=9
    This sampleset was designed from the ground-up for Pop applications, so maybe that's the sound you're looking for. It's really pretty much impossible to coax that sound out of a mellow "classical" piano sample using eq and processing, IMO.

Btw I don't work for them I just love their products (as many do around here).

matto

I find I really like the piano sounds in collosus, while not suitable for every situation, the 2 gig piano is perfect for ambient sounding piano, very rich in my opinion and my fellow pianer friends as well. While they are sensitive patches, you have to either adjust velocities afterwards, or just learn to play more precise. I am surprised to hear awful as well, what piano sounds have you been used to playing? as far as real piano's go, Ivory is another graet library, however if you think collosus is awful, you may not like those as well
    www.energiestudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B
    Listen to Ivory demos.

I bought it, it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossingsound
    ... while not suitable for every situation, the 2 gig piano is perfect for ambient sounding piano
    Now THERE's an understatement ...

Ernie

To give you another option, may i suggest you consider Worra's 7 Seas Grand, or another of his fine piano sample libraries?

Good luck,

Alex.

Hi,

I'm also a big fan of Sampletekk piano.
    For "clear and crisp pop sound" (what Phil B is looking for) TBO may be more suitable than his brother 7CG.
    White Grand is also a must try.

If you don't have a sampler and/or if you want a "plug and play" VST, Ivory has obviously clear and crisp piano sounds.

I love Ivory. There are many different presets (3 different sampled pianos) to choose from for whatever sound you are going for.

Go Back to forum