• Register
  • Help

Topic: Physically Modeled Piano

Share/Bookmark

Physically Modeled Piano

Everyone seen this yet?

http://www.pianoteq.com/

7 MB Physically modeled piano and I must say, pretty impressive for what it is.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Re: Physically Modeled Piano

Well picked out Dewdman.

I'm a physical-modelling-sceptic. Every physical model I have heard seems to be what some programmer 'thinks' some aspect of an instrument should have on the sound and for whatever reason they always seem to get it hopelessly wrong. Up till now I thought the whole idea of physical modelling was fundamentally flawed - after all, how exactly do you really encode a physical model?

This piano though does a very good job in such a small footprint. You can rightfully criticise its soft pedal, the scratchiness of the sound (maybe the MP3 encoder at work on the demos), the distinct gradations in the sustain pedal, the tinny harmonics, but ...these things are all there and under the control of the player which is real progress. Now it just needs someone to get all these things just 'right'...somehow. Their site is worth visiting, even if you only to listen to the Miles Black improvs which are a real delight. Listening to these made me think for a moment maybe, one day, physical modelling could work. For now though, the multi-gigabyte sample library has the edge.

Yep. I was comparing it to Ivory today. Ivory wins for sure. But considering its modeled..its darn impressive. by the way, their plugin demo is good for 45 days. download it and try it out. It plays really really well. its still missing a bit of beef, especially in the low end, but one thing I notice is that there are only a couple of presets at this point, none of which have the EQ turned on. A friend of mine ran this through a better external EQ, Compressor and Verb and said it really came alive a lot more. WOrth a try anyway.

I think it kind of comes down to HD footprint vs cpu usage. It does use quite a bit more CPU than something like Ivory or a kontakt based piano. But not really if you just use the built in reverb I guess. It uses such a small footprint. I could totally see myself using this for my laptop live rig. I do think $300 is a bit steep in pricing at this point. They aren't quite "there" yet. If it were less I might get it as an additional tool, but i think I tend to agree that if I had to pick just one...I'd probably go with Ivory.

Still, impressive technology to say the least.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    It plays really really well. its still missing a bit of beef, especially in the low end,
    Yeah, the low end... I especially find the release in the lower end a little too artificial.

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    Still, impressive technology to say the least.
    I totally agree.

But hey guys, there's already another thread about Pianoteq:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=47425

Very nice indeed! (to the point of getting added to my "to buy" list .. been playing with the demo for about an hour now.
    I know that what I am about to suggest would mean a bit of a change to the GUI, but I think the possibilities could be augmented enormously if most of the parameters could be set independently for different ranges of the piano.. or at least "keyboard scaled"... notably to be able to increase resonance for the low end without affecting the mid range, and maybe also to be able to soften the highs a little without softening the overall tone of the piano...

But the fact that one can even discuss this kind of extra tweaking just goes to show how far this instrument already goes! Bravo!

A big extra plus (say, for version #2!) would be to be able to custom-tune the piano (possibly with some presets from your favorite piano tuners.. it's amazing how they can have their own ideas about what is the best way to stretch!... and some less uniform tunings for the de-tuned pianos.. some notes deliberately more out-of-tune than others

If I may offer another suggestion, this needs its own user-preset handling within the GUI itself, so that one can, on Mac, for example, save a preset while working in Cubase, and then be able to load that preset while working in Logic or Digital Performer (in other words, independent of either .fxp or aupreset protocols).. easier to share presets online too!

Quote Originally Posted by Durk

But hey guys, there's already another thread about Pianoteq:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=47425
    LOL so it's all been said before. Ah well -sorry. I am trying out the demo now - and it sounds better than the MP3s suggest so I take back some of my earlier comments.

Pity about the missing notes in the demo - seems a shame as its a time-limited demo anyway to chop out some of the black notes. Also I can only get the pedals to go on or off, what about the gradated pedal feature - how does that work - note I am using a continuous controller? The reverb creates doubled notes so is not very useful, but the piano sounds good through third party reverb. Soundwise for the softer more mellow piano sounds it actually does a great job. Playing through my Roland weighted key controller though, there is something not quite right about the sustains and relative lengths of the bass v top notes. It doesn't 'feel' like a piano to me and I'm usually not that fussy.

Thanks re-peat for the demos - I enjoyed those.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_france
    A big extra plus (say, for version #2!) would be to be able to custom-tune the piano (possibly with some presets from your favorite piano tuners.. it's amazing how they can have their own ideas about what is the best way to stretch!... and some less uniform tunings for the de-tuned pianos.. some notes deliberately more out-of-tune than others
    More : custom tuning of each 200+ strings
    I'm just thinking of myself asking my favorite piano tuner to tune my modeled piano after he has finished with the upright...

Not a bad idea anyway, this could help to produce more "texture" specially in sustained chord (decay is a bit to "clean")

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent
    More : custom tuning of each 200+ strings
    I'm just thinking of myself asking my favorite piano tuner to tune my modeled piano after he has finished with the upright...

Not a bad idea anyway, this could help to produce more "texture" specially in sustained chord (decay is a bit to "clean")
    That would be a dream come true!

Go Back to forum