• Register
  • Help

Topic: KS question

Share/Bookmark
    Power Profile User

KS question

I use JABB with Finale. There are three sets of instruments.
    The first set I will call the regular set because I don't know what else to call it. In additon there are the Notation and the Lite versions.
    My question is, why does the "regular" and lite versions have yellow keys for the KS instrument, and the Notation version does not.
    There is probably a sensible reason for this but I can't figure it out.

Can I use all three in Finale or must I only use the notation instruments.

Bob De Celle

Re: KS question

I don't know JABB, but GPO Notation has KSes at the bottommost octave. And they are yellow.

Power Profile User

I know GPO does, but I wonder why JABB does not. Thanks anyway.

Bob De Celle

Quote Originally Posted by Bob De Celle
    I know GPO does, but I wonder why JABB does not. Thanks anyway.

Bob De Celle
    JABB certainly does. The Notation folder instruments have standardized KS like GPO.

Power Profile User

The JABB I have installed in my computer, doesn't have the yellow, out of range keys, indicating Key Switching, on my computer in the "notation" set of instruments. I see the trumpet KS., but the out or range keys are not of any color but white. This is not the case for the Lite or the regular set. They do have the yellow keys. When you say they certainly are there, it may be so on your computer, but it is not so on mine. Thanks you for trying to help.

Bob,

Don't know why you're JABB is having this problem. My JABB Notation set has the yellow keys in the lowest octave on the virtual keyboard. In Finale, if you load the trumpet KS patch, and put a mute change expression in your music, does the keyswitch note change patches at all?

Jeff

Power Profile User

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Bob,

Don't know why you're JABB is having this problem. My JABB Notation set has the yellow keys in the lowest octave on the virtual keyboard. In Finale, if you load the trumpet KS patch, and put a mute change expression in your music, does the keyswitch note change patches at all?

Jeff
    I checked it again and I don't have those yellow keys in the ks instrument in the notation set, and the instrument doesn't change with the cupe mute written over it. If I want a cup mute I have to load the instrument with the cup mute. I must be doing something wrong if everyone else has it, but I'll be damned if I know. Thanks anyway.

Power Profile User

Jeff Turner:

I've just disovered that the yellow keys are there. I wasn't looking low enough on the keyboard, but I still don't understand why the yellow keys are there if they're not used.
    I created the mutes in the expression menu by simply typing them in. Finale recognizes them with no problem. Thank you so much for your help.

Bob,

if you're using Finale 2007, make sure you've downloaded the 2007a update. Afteer that update is installed, a new PDF document will be installed in the user manual folder, the new GPOHP tutorial. This tutorial also includes information about using JABB with Finale.

Jeff

Power Profile User

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Bob,

if you're using Finale 2007, make sure you've downloaded the 2007a update. Afteer that update is installed, a new PDF document will be installed in the user manual folder, the new GPOHP tutorial. This tutorial also includes information about using JABB with Finale.

Jeff
    Thanks, I do have 2007a, and I just discovered the information about JABB in Finale. I've used JABB instruments a little, but this is the first time I'm getting into a large, jazz oriented orchestra.
    I really appreciate your help.

Bob De Celle

Go Back to forum