• Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: New VSL Piano ... Bosendorfer

Share/Bookmark

New VSL Piano ... Bosendorfer

www.naxosradio.com
    VSL Symphonic Cube, PLAY Gold, Project SAM, Altiverb, US2400, Cubase 4

Re: New VSL Piano ... Bosendorfer

Very impressive! Also very hefty. 3++MHz, 1-2 GB RAM and 55 GB(!) of samples - for one instrument. Yikes

I have been on the lookout for a really fine Bösendorfer to complement TBO/7CG and Black Grand. I guess I finally found it. Oh man, all these temptations

It is quite impressive indeed. So now there are 2 pianos: Ivory and the new VSL one.

I already have Ivory, so I will pass on this one, for now...

But indeed 55 GB for 1 piano???? Where are we headed????

Moreover a short thought: I see that the past 5-6 years software pianos, have excelled in eveyr aspect and sound deliciously realistic. I'm under the impression though that the electrical pianos, and midi controllers, are not so advances... Regarding, touch, feel, response... Any takes on that? (<-a little off topic, but then again any VSL instrument is a state of the art product, and a beast non the less... so there's little to discuss apart from : WOW! quite impressive indeed...)

Sorry for the part-off-topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Very impressive! Also very hefty. 3++MHz, 1-2 GB RAM and 55 GB(!) of samples - for one instrument. Yikes
    And the pros will have another dedicated computer...

I expected to like this, but thought it sounded kind of clipped and staccato. Almost like a player piano.

Maybe it's just a heavy-handed performance (or a score edited midi file) but I thought the end result was sort of mechanical and spliced sounding, especially when taking into account the size of this thing.

Wouldn't a more hybrid approach that puts together the processing and programming finesse of a 64MB ram-based piano, with the "streaming" capabilities of a soft-sampler, bring a better result?

I wonder if some of the sample developers have just gotten stuck on a "bigger is better" and "we don't process and model-sound, we just do samples" kind of a mind set.

But maybe that's just me.

Best.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibrish
    I expected to like this, but thought it sounded kind of clipped and staccato. Almost like a player piano.
    Agreed. I was wanting to like this too since VSL has a strong track record with their products. Unfortunately, I've heard better piano libraries that are much less demanding on ones computer requirements. Oh well, I guess they can't get everything right.
    James G. Eakin III, DMA
    Composer-In-Residence,
    Turtle Creek Chorale
    Assistant Director-Film Scoring program,
    Aspen Music Festival & School
    www.jameseakin.com

I don't like it.

On my audio system (Tascam monitors + M-Audio Firewire card) sounds terribly harsh, fortepiano-like here and there, and reminds me of their classical guitar (not very pleasant, to be honest.)

No polemic, indeed: I love VSL orchestra, I have Opus 1&2 and Chamber Strings, plus other VSL frills like Glass&Stones, Percussion FX etc.

But a low-cost VI Opus 3 instead of another Bosendorfer (Ivory's sounds better) would have been more appreciated, here.

Just one thing to put the data size into perspective:
    Half of the samples represent the player's position, the other half is the audience position. 55 GB is the total of 24 bit stereo samples that only need 34.5 GB space on your hard drive.
    Cheers, Martin

Although nice, it didn't stand out to my ears as being anything incredible. However, I guess I will just have to wait to hear some more demos as well.
    Sean Beeson
    www.seanbeeson.com
    Composer for videogames, film and television

Sometimes you have to get these libraries under your own fingers to decide.

Unfortunately that can be tricky to do without actual buying them.

That being said, so far I am not loving the demo song samples.

Go Back to forum