• Register
  • Help

Topic: GVI - Surpassing the 2 Gig barrier

Share/Bookmark

GVI - Surpassing the 2 Gig barrier

I recently bought EWQLSO Gold and I'm using it in a dedicated machine along with Ivory thru VStack. I had been using GS3 as well but now I need GVI to run along side my other VI's. Cubase is SX running on another machine.
    If I upgrade from 1.5G to 3G in my sampler machine,will GVI access all that extra memory? Am I limiting the RAM using VStack?

Re: GVI - Surpassing the 2 Gig barrier

VStack needs to be large address aware and you have to boot with the /3GB switch in your boot.ini file. Cubase is already large address aware (at least from SX 3 on - not sure about 1 or 2), though this is irrelevant for you I guess. My understanding is that VStack is not large address aware, but there is a way to hack the exe to make it so, but do so at your own risk. From Mattias Henningson's article at the VSL forum -

http://vsl.co.at/forum/viewtopic.php?p=60489
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias Henningson
    To set the /3GB switch
    The /3GB switch is an option you have to add in your boot.ini file. You can access this file by opening the Properties dialog on "My Computer". Under the Advanced tab and Startup and Recovery press settings. In the startup and recovery dialog press the edit button. This should open a text file with about the following content:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

First of all!! If you destroy this boot.ini file your computer won't be very happy when starting up so take all precautions and medications. You're doing this at your own risk. If you screw up however there is a way out... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184/en-us is recommended reading if needed.

Anyway, to be safe COPY the last line and edit it by adding the /3GB switch. Also change the name on the changed line. In my case it would look like this:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin /3GB

Save the file and restart the machine. When you start the machine now you will get an option to start either one of the now two OS configurations on your computer. By doing it this way you can easily go back to a configuration without the /3GB switch engaged if needed. There could be cases when a driver (most probably video driver) fails to load due to setting the 3GB switch since the amount of kernel-mode memory in the system is too low. If that happens it's good to know that you have an option to specifically specify the relationship between user-mode and kernel-mode memory by adding another switch in the boot.ini file called /userva. Setting this to 2.5GB in the example above would look like this:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin /3GB /userva=2500

Conclusion
    If you're planning to add more than 2GB of RAM to your system, this is well worth an investigation. Bug your host vendor to add official support for LAA. You can patch the host yourself, but it will definitely leave you without support.

Ok, ok, ok I've read every disclaimer and recommendation in here and despite common sense I'm convinced I want to hack the exe myself
    Here is the description of the process. You need a utility called editbin.exe. This utility comes with Microsofts Visual Studio product, but you can also download an assembler development package from http://www.masm32.com which contains the utility as well.
    1. Make a backup of the exe file you want to patch.
    2. Copy the exe to the utility directory.
    3. Open a command prompt in the directory and run the command editbin /LARGEADDRESSAWARE yourexe.exe.
    4. Copy the patched file back to the original application directory.
    5. You're done.

Thanks Jay. Wasn't the simple answer I was hoping for.
    Perhaps Vista will access more memory in the future?
    Does this mean in my Cubase machine I can access 3gb without doing anything?

Can I use the 3gig switch with Windows XP Home?
    Are there any potential hazards to invoking the switch?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Can I use the 3gig switch with Windows XP Home?
    Are there any potential hazards to invoking the switch?

Thanks
    I believe so, but I've tried it only with XP Pro. I am unaware of any hazzards. If XP Home can't handle it, ideally it will ignore the switch.

I have tried this only with Cubase and Pro Tools, GVI and Kontakt, all on the same XP Pro machine.

There is a way to edit out the /3GB switch from boot.ini if you absolutely cannot boot after adding it. (I wouldn't predict this worst case scenario though) You should be able to boot into safe mode and edit it, or there are utilities that can edit boot.ini from DOS. There is also a way to get the boot screen to pause and let you pick the option of whether to boot with /3GB or not.

Go Back to forum