• Register
  • Help

Topic: Trio della Chiesa

Share/Bookmark

Trio della Chiesa - Xmas present for my family

I seem to be on an italian spree with composition titles lately...

In any case, I have a project ahead of me, which I've begun today... which is to write a movement every day or two before Christmas, which I'll be presenting to my family then as an xmas gift.

The idea was to make a three-movement piano duet, with each movement based on one of my family members. Or, at least, the name of the movement. The name of the piece itself is based on our family name "Chappelle", which is actually based in french for "Chapel" or "Church". So I took that literally and named it "Trio of the Church", meaning my family I work my way in there since I'm the composer. I don't need my own movement.

So, I'll be updating this thread as I finish each movement this week I hope you enjoy.

---
    Trio della Chiesa

I - Ingrada (Ingrid + Intrada)

Sort of an evolvingly modern fugue. I love counterpoint to death, and studied it in college, but when all was said and done I said fooey to the rules and just wrote what felt natural So you'll find some awkwardness in certain sections if you're trying to listen to it as Fux-era counterpoint, but I think there's some fun nuances that I was able to work in by not following things to a T. And then, of course, things begin to change gradually and modulate and then return to the A for a recap.

II - Elegic (Eric + Elegy)

This piece came about from a number of inspirations... The general form is building upon ostinati. I chose to do this for my father's piece, because like me he's a composer as well... and his favourite composition method is the ostinato. He plays the violin, and has a setup with a loop pedal where he lays out lines to loop over and over while improvising over the top. It's really wonderful to hear live.

The second part of inspiration... My dad likes to hum a lot while walking through the house. But 9 times out of 10, it tends to be the beginning motif of one of the themes from Holst's "Jupiter". So I based the melody around this motif, springing off into my own little thing from there.

III - Scherzoleil (Soleil + Scherzo)

I originally started this tune when working on my symphonic suite "Snowflight" -- However, I had discarded yet kept the scraps of the particular section that I worked into this movement. When thinking of both a scherzo, as well as my sister, the piece just fit so well in my mind. So I adapted the piece from orchestral to the piano duet format. It came rather easy, as I had already worked in piano doublings into a lot of the piece. I then worked on developing the theme into a bit of a slow and meandering, thoughtful middle section... reflecting upon my sister's deep inner life that I often encounter sitting on the sofa with a journal staring out at the weather.

The trio is now complete! Please, enjoy And feedback is very much appreciated!

Re: Trio della Chiesa

Update: 12/21/06

II - Elegic (Eric + Elegy)

This piece came about from a number of inspirations... The general form is building upon ostinati. I chose to do this for my father's piece, because like me he's a composer as well... and his favourite composition method is the ostinato. He plays the violin, and has a setup with a loop pedal where he lays out lines to loop over and over while improvising over the top. It's really wonderful to hear live.

The second part of inspiration... My dad likes to hum a lot while walking through the house. But 9 times out of 10, it tends to be the beginning motif of one of the themes from Holst's "Jupiter". So I based the melody around this motif, springing off into my own little thing from there.

(Added to opening post as well)

Hey- this kind of fell to the bottom of the page pretty quick Any feedback at all so far? Waiting for the full thing to be posted?

Update: PM of 12/21/06

III - Scherzoleil (Soleil + Scherzo)

I originally started this tune when working on my symphonic suite "Snowflight" -- However, I had discarded yet kept the scraps of the particular section that I worked into this movement. When thinking of both a scherzo, as well as my sister, the piece just fit so well in my mind. So I adapted the piece from orchestral to the piano duet format. It came rather easy, as I had already worked in piano doublings into a lot of the piece. I then worked on developing the theme into a bit of a slow and meandering, thoughtful middle section... reflecting upon my sister's deep inner life that I often encounter sitting on the sofa with a journal staring out at the weather.

The trio is now complete! Please, enjoy And feedback is very much appreciated!

BRAVO!

Just plain superb, Leif!

Flawlessly written, pefectly executed, and ceaselessly
    satisfying from one end to the other.

Congratulations on still another excellent showing, my
    friend... you never disappoint.

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks so much for the kind words, David