• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Solo Piano Tone... commments needed...

Share/Bookmark

Question Solo Piano Tone... commments needed...

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone,

If you have a minute or too please comment on the tone of my piano.
    http://www.twophilosophers.com/1.mp3

I am trying to get a beautiful, soft, new age-like solo piano tone for use in writing a love song (solo piano).

Have I used the right EQ and reverb? (Disregard my sloppy piano playing....:-)

Any comments appreciated,
    HG

Re: Solo Piano Tone... commments needed...

Quote Originally Posted by higain_guitar
    Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone,

If you have a minute or too please comment on the tone of my piano.
    http://www.twophilosophers.com/1.mp3

I am trying to get a beautiful, soft, new age-like solo piano tone for use in writing a love song (solo piano).

Have I used the right EQ and reverb? (Disregard my sloppy piano playing....:-)

Any comments appreciated,
    HG
    I find it already a beautiful, soft and new age-like sounding piano. However you should try also layering your piano with one of these wonderful pad that enhance the sense of spatial listening if you know what I mean. Try first without EQ neither reverb and after that try to fine Eq and inally add reverb to the whole mix. Just my opinion regarding your question.
    Why disregard the playing? It comunicate beauty!

Dear Richard,

Thank you so much for your comments. You are a great piano player and the fact that you like my simple little melody really made my day!

2 quick questions... when you say layer with a pad you mean a synth pad like in z3ta+ or rhino or rapture?

You mean I should mix down the track twice? One time dry and the second time with eq and reverb and then mix the 2 tracks?

Thanks! And by the way your demos for sampletekk pianos are great!

Take care,
    High Gain

Hi HG:

Nice short piece, I would've like to listen to the longer version of it. Sounds really good. I really like the tone of the piano. What piano are you using, if you don't mind me asking. It doesn't sound like a sampled piano, it sound real. If it is sampled then take the above as a complement to you and the library. Wow I really like the tone of this piano. If it is a library, I would like to know. Thanks.

If I were to take a guess, what I think that Richard is trying to say is a soft pad like sound that would give some spacial dimension to new age style piano, like some Yanni sounds, or a Enya like back drop. Soft voice, Ooh, Aah etc mixed with other tones. But I also think the solo sounds great.

Thanks for sharing
    Dd

Dear ddarwin7,

Thanks for the compliment and thanks for the tips about the pads. That mp3 I posted is really more of a "sound test" than a piece...I hope to develop it more into a full fledged song one day. The piano is Worra's (Sampletekk) Black Grand Ambient patch #4 (it comes with 10 patches). Its only $49, and you can dowload it immediately (no I don't work for Worra!):
    http://www.sampletekk.com/proddetail...VER-024-FORMAT

I use Kontakt 2 and a Kornel mezo script (he made one for the Sampletekk black grand) to simulate the Sympathetic Resonance of the strings when the pedal is downl.
    More info here: http://music.mezo.com/

The only post processing I used was the bbe maximizer directx plugin and Arts Acoustic reverb vst plugin. If you need to know the settings I can give you them.

Take care,
    HG

Thanks HG for the info;

I already have that, In fact I have the black grand, ambient and close in both GS3 and K2 versions (don't have medium ambient). I also have White grand Jr, full, and sister, SG88, TBO, TSO, 7CG jr. So as you can see I have most of sampletekk products. I also have tons of other piano libs, but I am impresses with the tone that you were able to produce. I also use the Kornel piano specific scripts. I need to start experimenting more with the black grand. Sampletekk does have some sweet pianos. The reverbs I have are Wizoo w2 and Gigapulse. The mastering plugs i have are Waves mastering bundle(w/L2), ozone, and also soundforge.

Do you use the Black grand specific Kornel scrpt with the default values or do you have your own tweaks. I really like your EQ settings. Mind posting your EQ settings and other settings. It sounds quite good.
    Thanks
    Dd

Dear Dd,

So you are addicted (like me) to collecting piano samples... :-) I have a bunch too. If we get some time we should talk about your favorite sample sets. I love Michiel Post's Emperor piano, though lately I have fallen for the Black Grand Ambient.

Now getting back to those settings you wanted. I will describe what I do below, but for an actual picture of the settings (a picture is worth a thousand words) you can download this:

http://www.twophilosophers.com/piano.jpg

Basically I took worra's patch #4 and modified as you can see in the piano.jpg. I removed all of the pedal down samples. As you probably know you can do this in the group editor by selecting a group and then clicking edit (I think) and then delete group. Then I made all the remaining samples (pedal up and release) play "always"--group start options "always"). By getting rid of all the pedal down samples we can cut our memory needs. Then I make the release samples load fully into memory "sampler" and the rest load direct-from-disk (DFD). This results in 328.8 mb piano (not too bad). We don't need the pedal down samples since the Kornel Mezo script will simulate the sympathetic resonance. I have given you my script and kontakt settings in piano.jpg above--its not too different from the default settings though I set up 200 voices in Kontakt.

Step 2: I use the bbe maximizer to spice it up--see piano.jpg (adjust to taste). This makes it a bit brighter and bigger and gives it some punch by correcting the phase problem that most speakers have.

Step 3, final step: I use Arts Acoustic Reverb to give it that mellow, new-age like, ethereal feel. The reverb actually is responsible for much of the final tone. Even though the black grand ambient is "ambient" I find it is still somewhat dry sounding. The reverb settings I used really wetten it up. These settings I believe are basically identical to one of the default patches that comes with the reverb. I may have adjusted one parameter besides the "wet" parameter but I have given you the actual settings I used in piano.jpg.

Good luck and I would love to hear one of your piano pieces or snippets if you can post one. I actually am more of a guitar player but I dabble in piano and find it very relaxing. It nurtures my softer side when I am not banging out powerchords--hence the nick: higain_guitar.

Take care,
    Rob aka HG.

Dear Richard,

Thank you so much for your comments. You are a great piano player and the fact that you like my simple little melody really made my day!

2 quick questions... when you say layer with a pad you mean a synth pad like in z3ta+ or rhino or rapture?

You mean I should mix down the track twice? One time dry and the second time with eq and reverb and then mix the 2 tracks?

Thanks! And by the way your demos for sampletekk pianos are great!

Take care,
    High Gain
    Hi higain_guitar!

The added pad may use the same midi data of your piano playing (or part of it, for example LH, etc...try...). Then it´s time to apply some eq and reverb for each stereo channel or stereo master,... try again.

Yes ddarwin7 I was reffering to this kind of Pad you said. Thanks.

Now, after reading the Script consideration I´ll put attention to TBO and try what you have done with Black Grand (one my prefered). Some days ago I tried TBO but with all the samples and it overloaded the HD reading. I will try delenting the PD.

higain_guitar,
    How did you that?
    "...Then I make the release samples load fully into memory "sampler" and the rest load direct-from-disk (DFD)..."

See: Interesting thread, good music, sounds, technology... very good!

Dear Richard,

Thanks for some great ideas on using only Left hand (LH) for the pad.

About the settings, you wanted to know how to: "make the release samples load fully into memory "sampler" and the rest load direct-from-disk (DFD)"

See this image for how to do it:
    http://www.twophilosophers.com/piano2.jpg

Dear Richard,

Thanks for some great ideas on using only Left hand (LH) for the pad.

About the settings, you wanted to know how to: "make the release samples load fully into memory "sampler" and the rest load direct-from-disk (DFD)"

See this image for how to do it:
    http://www.twophilosophers.com/piano2.jpg
    Thanks for all included your vote in the other thread of a Dedicated Piano Forum!

Go Back to forum