I saw this (TGDaily.com 01/18/2006) and thought you'd be interested if you have not already come across it:

. . . "Fusion," a code-name for a processor that "fuses" a graphics core with a traditional CPU and the Northbridge on the silicon level. The reasoning behind that idea is that basic 3D graphics is well on its way to becoming a commodity and that graphics processors have many more talents that aren't exploited today: For example, the floating point performance of ATI's R580 processors is already almost ten times higher than that of today's high-end dual-core processors. Technically, the integration of a GPU into a CPU, could enable AMD to build very low-end processors that do not need an integrated graphics chipset anymore - and use the same idea to build supercomputer microprocessors. . . .

. . . AMD does not call Fusion a "GPU-CPU," it calls it "APU" (accelerated processing unit) - which means more than just a different way of integrating graphics. In fact, you could call this a "Lego" approach, which enables the company to take different building blocks to create different processors with very specific target applications. AMD claims that this "modular" approach to building processors will enable the company to quickly react to changing market trends. On the higher-end, a GPU could morph into a "stream processor" that won't accelerate graphics but take advantage of the floating point horsepower of the processor. AMD envisions stream computing to move into the mass market at some point, but clearly, stream computing is a high-end topic today and non-existent in the mass-market, as there are no off-the-shelf applications that are taking advantage of floating point capability. . .

This seems very interesting and sounds as though it could have a major impact on the performance of future DAW's. If Intel doesn't participate in this approach and if AMD pulls it off (supposedly in early 2008) AMD could well be the way musicians would go in much greater numbers.

Of course, I am a consumer and not a techie kind of guy but that is how I interpret the info.

Dan Rubio