• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan Community Christmas CD!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Garritan Community Christmas CD!

Diving in my car listening to the Christmas CD. All I can say is - WOW! Outstanding! Class A five star performances!
    To all involved ...

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Thanks so much for your talent.

Styxx
    Styxx

Thumbs up Re: Garritan Community Christmas CD!

I have it in my computer, not in CD form, but i agree it is a great collection of some awesome talent. And I second that, hope everyone here has a fantastic Christmas holiday and New Year.

Re: Garritan Community Christmas CD!

I feel so fortunate to be rubbing digital shoulders with such a talented bunch. Yeh, espedcially that Styxx guy.

By the way Styxx, pm me your new address, I wanted to send you a card, but only have your old one.

Karl

I agree 100%. The new CD is great. I hate to single anyone out since everyone did such a fantastic job, but I just love the version of Pat a Pan on the new CD. It brings a smile to my face every time I hear it.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    I agree 100%. The new CD is great. I hate to single anyone out since everyone did such a fantastic job, but I just love the version of Pat a Pan on the new CD. It brings a smile to my face every time I hear it.
    Gotta agree here...I think it's that bassoon thing. Baaaaaaaabadumbadum! Makes me think of the Grinch stuffing presents back up the chimney. And into "Up on the Housetop" in a minor key...cool!

But it's all fantastic, maybe the best one yet. Congrats to all!

A blessed and hope-filled Christmas to all!

Jim

Well, gosh. There's nothing better than walking into a room and hearing folks talking nice about your work. Thanks very much. I'm very happy to have contributed to the project; the variety of styles and approaches keeps it fresh every time through.

Here's a little bonus for the Pat-a-pan fans: my arrangement was based largely on a version I did for saxophone ensemble about 15 years ago. There are no other carols mixed into this earlier one, but it's fun anyways:

Pat-a-pan
    performed by the Texas Saxophone Quartet (& Friends)

Merry Christmas!
    - David

My fiance and I are immensely enjoying the Garritan Community Christmas CD.

Every contributor did wonderful, creative work with their arrangements. There's no way we could single one out as "best." They're all so well done.

This is mostly in the area of personal preference, but there is one element on the CD as a whole which I am critical of, and that's in the use of reverb. I feel it's mostly over used in the sense of tracks being too wet for my ears.

I'm not sure where the thread was, but I do remember awhile back seeing a discussion about the use of reverb on GPO projects, and how some contributors to the thread were getting unexpectedly better results by easing off on the reverb dial and letting their music sound closer and more intimate. I remember someone on that thread saying that backing off on the ambience made them feel they'd suddenly been given a new set of instruments. Someone else commented that his work had been criticized for not being detailed enough in his use of articulations etc--turned out that heavy doses of reverb had washed out the detail which really was in his tracks.

Which is all to say that even though it's not a super popular opinion, I do see glimmers of other people agreeing with my taste for a sound which is at least a bit dryer than what has become customary.

I think it's a fashion which waxes and wans--the amount of reverb people like to hear. It's like in the pop music world, 10 years ago drums were very dry and up front. Later, the Big Reverb sound became more popular.

What I feel is that the goal to have everything sound as if it's being performed in a huge Opera House or a Cathedral, with the point of view of the listener in the back row--that it's an over-used and at least slightly pretentious emulation. Why does everything have to sound SO HUge?

Anyway, that's been my only less than 100% enthusiastic response to the Christmas CD. The amount of reverb on the pieces is really no more than what we usually are hearing from GPO and other orchestral program users--I'm saying that it's a typical use of reverb which I personally find Too Much. Maybe this should be the topic of a thread on one of the Garritan forums.

Back to the Christmas CD---Excellent, and Much appreciated.

rbowser

Quote Originally Posted by Dargason
    Here's a little bonus for the Pat-a-pan fans: my arrangement was based largely on a version I did for saxophone ensemble about 15 years ago. There are no other carols mixed into this earlier one, but it's fun anyways:

Pat-a-pan
    performed by the Texas Saxophone Quartet (& Friends)

Merry Christmas!
    - David
    Very nice arrangement - thanks for sharing. I do have to say, though, the other carols mixed in is part of what makes the gpo arrangement special.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum