• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Topic: New Garritan user needs big help!

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    New Garritan user needs big help!

    Hi guys!
    I need help big time. I just got JABB today. I installed it from the DVD. And now cannot do anything with it. When I run it from the Garritan icon, it runs what looks like Kontakt Player. When I load in a sound, it plays that sound okay. But when I load in another sound, it still plays the first one, even though the second is on a different MIDI channel. Whatever sound was the first one loaded is the one I get for all channels.

    I've tried using Finale 2007a, following the Finale 2007 GPO tutorial, and I cannot get Finale to find the JABB library; I just get the GPO library that came with Finale. If I create a new score, it allows me to select the JABB instruments in the score set up, but I hear nothing. And if I go to the MIDI menu, it doesn't list JABB, just Kontakt Player 2, and that only accesses the instruments that came with Finale. I can't get Sibelius 3 or Overture 4 to work either.

    So, either I am completely stupid (entirely possible), or something is wrong. I downloaded the new garritanjazzinstrument.txt file and put it in the Finale 2007 VST folder.

    Any help or guidance would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you very much!

    SaxMarc
    HP 2.8ghz w/2gig RAM, Windows XP/Media Edition, Finale 2007, Sibelius 3, Overture 4.

  2. #2

    Re: New Garritan user needs big help!

    Hey SaxMarc,

    As for your first issue with the standalone player... you'll have to talk to someone more knowledgeable than myself.


    But to set up JABB for Finale, you also need the JABB VST file copied to your FinaleVST folder- you can complete this process by running the JABB setup again and only selecting to install the JABB VST plugin, and setting the installation to the FinaleVST folder, usually "C:\Program Files\Finale 2007\FinaleVST"

    Now your instruments should load properly when you select them in the score setup wizard.

    I hope that helps!

    -David

  3. #3

    Re: New Garritan user needs big help!

    David:
    I really appreciate the quick response, but unfortunately this did not work. I still am unable to access the JABB instruments from Finale.

    I did get it to work with Overture 4, and it sounds good.

    But now I have another problem: using it stand alone, all the sounds are garbled, as though each note is fluttering, no matter which instrument I try. I've reset the computer, and run it as the first thing I run, with no change. Any further suggestions, anyone? I'd really like to use this with Finale! Thank you!


    Quote Originally Posted by David Guinness
    Hey SaxMarc,

    As for your first issue with the standalone player... you'll have to talk to someone more knowledgeable than myself.


    But to set up JABB for Finale, you also need the JABB VST file copied to your FinaleVST folder- you can complete this process by running the JABB setup again and only selecting to install the JABB VST plugin, and setting the installation to the FinaleVST folder, usually "C:\Program Files\Finale 2007\FinaleVST"

    Now your instruments should load properly when you select them in the score setup wizard.

    I hope that helps!

    -David

  4. #4
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,932

    Re: New Garritan user needs big help!

    My experience has been that with the stand-alone version (the icon you mentioned) is that it will ignore all slots except nr. 1. If you need multiple instruments, you will need to use VSt, DXi, or GPO Studio. If you don't have the combo package of GPO-Finale, you will probably have to use the GPO Studio with Finale. If so, it is important to open the GPO Studio before opening Finale. You can change the instruments after starting Finale, but you must open Studio before opening Finale. Also, be sure to set your Finale instruments to include GPO Studio as an option. I don't remember how to do so in Finale. I use Sibelius and Sonar, but not Finale, but have tested various demo versions of Finale.

    If you don't have GPO Studio, you can download it free from Garritan.com.

    Richard

  5. #5

    Re: New Garritan user needs big help!

    Quote Originally Posted by SaxMarc
    When I run it from the Garritan icon, it runs what looks like Kontakt Player. When I load in a sound, it plays that sound okay. But when I load in another sound, it still plays the first one, even though the second is on a different MIDI channel. Whatever sound was the first one loaded is the one I get for all channels.
    This is the standalone version. Each instrument loaded will be loaded (by default) to incrementing MIDI channel numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) If you are trying to play a particular sound from an external keyboard you must set the keyboard to output the correct MIDI channel data. This will not happen automatically. Check your keyboard's manual for the procedure to set the output MIDI channel. If you set the keyboard for channel 1 it will send data to the instrument in the first slot. If you set the keyboard to MIDI channel 2 you will play the instrument in the second slot, and so forth. Don't forget to bring up the mod wheel (which controls volume/timbre.)

    Tom

  6. #6

    Re: New Garritan user needs big help!

    Quote Originally Posted by SaxMarc
    But now I have another problem: using it stand alone, all the sounds are garbled, as though each note is fluttering, no matter which instrument I try. I've reset the computer, and run it as the first thing I run, with no change.
    Check to make sure that no cc18 controller data has inadvertently been sent to the player. With wind instruments this could produce the symptoms you describe. You could send a "reset all controllers" message from within a sequencer/notation host program or specifically send a cc18, value 0 message to the player from a hardware controller, or as data placed in the track or stave.

    If it is happening with all instruments (including ones like piano) then you probably have a soundcard driver problem - creating distortion. You could check performance from within different host programs and see if the distortion is present with all or only specific programs.

    Tom

  7. #7

    Re: New Garritan user needs big help!

    I'm moving this thread to the JABB support section.

    Tom

  8. #8

    Re: New Garritan user needs big help!

    I had the same difficulties with Finale 2007 and JABB - I was finally able to get mine to work after I turned on Human Playback in the Playback window. For some reason, the patches do not load for me until after Human Playback is selected.

  9. #9

    Re: New Garritan user needs big help!

    Thank you all for your help (and thank you, Tom, for putting this in the right place.)

    I've managed to get it working. I had to move the .dll file to the Finale folder, and now Finale works. I had to set the latency value higher in order for the standalone player to work properly. I still have more experimentation to do with various other programs, but now at least I know that basically it is working properly.

    Hopefully I'll have a new tune to share soon!

    SaxMarc
    www.sweetthunderjazztet.com

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •