• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale 2006 - Multiple Instruments on One Staff

Share/Bookmark

Finale 2006 - Multiple Instruments on One Staff

I have an interesting desire in one of my scores: The Horns take the melodic lead. Now, while the KS Horn 1 sounds just fine on its own, I think I'd really like to add one of the overlays to it. Without creating a new staff in the score with the Horn FF Overlay instrument assigned to it, is there a way for me to add the Horn overlay atop the already written staff for the Horn. I guess what I'm asking is: is there a way for Finale to play two instruments on the same staff?
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

Re: Finale 2006 - Multiple Instruments on One Staff

You can playback two diffirent instruments on the same staff - but you will need to duplicate the notation in 2 different layers, and route the two layers to separate channels (each layer will need a different instrument name).

I don't know what the HP implications are of doing this.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Well, HP doesn't like that at all. It sticks the channel change on whatever layer is playing (even though I specified the third layer). Oh, well, I guess I'll need to create a new staff anyway.
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

If you can afford the luxury of assigning one player instance exclusively to Horn 1 on channel OMNI and Horn FFoverlay on channel 2, playback on ch 1 plays Horn 1 without the overlay, and playback on ch 2 with the overlay.

If you can't afford this, create an extra instance of Horn 1 on ch 2: Ch1=Horn1 | Ch2=Horn1+HornFFoverlay.

There is a slightly roundabout way to do this. (Channel numbers in the example are arbitrary, of course.)

STEP ONE:

First set up...

Horn KS on Channel 1

Also set up...

Horn KS on Channel 2
    Horn Overlay on Channel 2

STEP TWO:

Then create a text expression to change to channel 1, and another to change to channel 2.

USING IT:

When you want just the Horn KS, use the text expression for channel 1.

When you want the combination of Horn KS and Horn Overlay, use the text expression for channel 2.

~

Hope that helps!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum