• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Mac prices???? :O

Share/Bookmark

Mac prices???? :O

Now, first of all, no flame wars intended, no insults, no nothing at all! Just for the reasons of debating:

I was at a London mall today, and spoted an apple store! So I said to myself: "Time to check at last a Mac, and their prices". and so I did! Found a nice lady (wife was not around), and started shooting questions:

Decided to go for an amazing machine, like the ones in my dreams:

Mac Pro
    3 GHz Dual core intel inside (of course)
    8 GB RAM (4x2)
    3 Hard Disks (160+500+500), SATA
    20" TFT screen
    1 Drive
    Radeon 1900 (something like that...)
    Modem
    apple protection scheme
    ...and hope I'm not forgetting anything! (no software included)

The price I got for that amazing machine, was equaly amazing: £5500 (=around 10000$)

Can this be correct?

Cause I'm pretty sure I can get a simmilar (not quite, for example the RAM or the 3 hard disks, although I will go for a RAID system...) for half the price

I am a PC user, for almost 20 years now (yes, it's true, started out with an Amstrad 1512!), but I'm more than ready to admit that for the past 20 years Macs were (are) better. Maybe even now. But this price?

Is it something like cars, maybe, that, even if the raw materials and schemes and work, costs approximately the same (or +-5000$ maybe) you get a Ferrari at 100,000$ and a fiat at 10,000$??? The name plays an important part!

Re: Mac prices???? :O

Well, buying ANY computer in a brick & mortar shop - especially in a mall - is going to be more expensive than if you ordered online. However, Macs are indeed really expensive in general. It's stupid, in my opinion. A Mac with the exact same specs as a PC - same graphics card, amount of RAM, processor, storage space, etc - can cost easily twice as much, for no good reason :/
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Well... ok it was a mall, but it was an official apple store (doubt that you can get apple anywhere else)... They did mention something toward 5-10% discount if I told them it was for buisness, but still... :-/

Thanks for the post...

IMO, Apple's biggest problem has never been Bill Gates, but Apple. In the mid 80's they had the one readily available user friendly O/S. They could charge a premium for it, and they did. Once Windows got rolling, with lower PC prices and a tolerable O/S, they lost market share. For a couple years they did allow clones to be sold - eMachines, and others offered Mac clones - but Apple brought that to a halt because they couldn't compete with the clone makers. Then there is the way they have historically treated their own customers... selling premium machines that they quickly orphan (I don't recall the exact model, but one particularly bad one was just prior to their introduction of the Mac Centris and Quadra). More recently, one could point to what they did to all the PC users of Logic.

It is more than a little ironic that Bill Gates once worked for Apple, but was forced to leave. Apple could have been where the PC is now, but they have always pursued the premium price for a premium machine, and therefore lower unit sales, while PC's have primarily emphasized a lower profit per unit, concentrating on higher unit sales, and therefore came to dominate the market. For the majority of program writers, which market would you therefore concentrate on? It is interesting that even in music production, Apple has lost the monopoly they once held back in the mid to late 80's.

For myself, I used to be an avid Mac user (from the days of the Mac Plus), and a one time DP, and Composer's Mosaic user, but upon losing the bulk of my eyesight, had to make the switch. After talking to Apple's HQ in Cupertino for many hours, they concluded that they could not help me, and given my greatly reduced resources, that was not necessarily a bad thing.

Nevertheless, as others have said, computers are merely tools, and one should use whatever one personally finds works best. The issue is making music, not which computer one uses. Both the PC and Mac offer advantages, and each has weaknesses.

Jim

I don't think you are totally correct in your calculations. If you were to eliminate the 3ghz dual processor, that takes off $850, which currently costs $1200 if you log on to TigerDirect. Then the 8 gig's of ram is something like $3500, Well I'm still trying to find a PC mobo that supports more then 4 gigs... So lop off those 2 and opt for a 2.00ghz and say 2 gigs of ram for about $3000 Can.
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...dhApWnJ/2.?p=0
    You can go to FutureShop.com and get a nice 22" widescreen LCD for $300. Put some of the Sata drives I already have, wait for Ram prices to come down and you have a system that would cover a lot of ground for years and years to come.
    Yes all said and done the Mac is expensive, but there is no PC that really compares to the Mac Pro equally currently (16 gigs of ram?) 2 dual core processors! 5 cableless internal HD's, Cool looking. I suspect there will possibly be some newer Mac Pro jr's around the corner with the release of the newer OSX that might offer a lower cost desktop! But ya unless I do the payment plan the Mac Pro is out of my grasp as well! My dream system ends up about $16000 when I add in everything I'd want!
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...6WJm099/2.?p=0

I'm considering a MacBook as it would out-perform my current G4 1.25, portable and support my 20.1 LCD and mouse for less then a $1000 if I trade-in my G4 MDD. I'm just trying to see if I can have 2 internal HD's in it? What to do without my Uad-1 card and a couple other things... Come-on income tax!
    Later
    Brian

I was trying to spec out a similar system from Dell and couldn't find anything larger than 4GB of RAM or anything faster than a 2.66Ghz processor. Even so, I had it up to $6000 before I went back to looking at the Mac Pro.

Just out of curriousity I just spec'd a Dell XPS 710 and a Mac Pro. Both had pretty much the same specs (4 gigs of RAM, 500 gig HD, dual video cards, the Dell has a 2.66 quad core and the Mac has dual 2.66 dual cores, and each has a 3 year service plan) The Dell cost $5,194 and the Mac cost $4,993.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Aversa
    However, Macs are indeed really expensive in general. It's stupid, in my opinion. A Mac with the exact same specs as a PC - same graphics card, amount of RAM, processor, storage space, etc - can cost easily twice as much, for no good reason :/
    Logic, Digital Performer, FW800, can handle more than 3GB of ram, OS X, ...

There are lots of reasons why to use mac if you are a composer, which makes it worth it. And the argument that macs are twice as expensive as PCs does not apply anymore, as someone mentioned. But this used to be the case.

The ram for those new Mac Pros is crazy expensive, though, I will say.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    The price I got for that amazing machine, was equaly amazing: £5500 (=around 10000$)

Can this be correct?

Cause I'm pretty sure I can get a simmilar (not quite, for example the RAM or the 3 hard disks, although I will go for a RAID system...) for half the price

Dude - your first mistake is trying to apply *reason* to a product line that is violently opposed to the concept. Just move on...
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Wink Re: Mac prices???? :O

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Aversa
    Well, buying ANY computer in a brick & mortar shop - especially in a mall - is going to be more expensive than if you ordered online. However, Macs are indeed really expensive in general. It's stupid, in my opinion. A Mac with the exact same specs as a PC - same graphics card, amount of RAM, processor, storage space, etc - can cost easily twice as much, for no good reason :/
    I’m not sure if Macs are really more expensive if you compare a similarly configured, high quality component machine.

As of today, 1/10/07:

Alienware Intel Core Duo 17” Laptop (Area-51® m5750)

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7600 2.33GHz 4MB Cache 667MHz FSB
    2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 1024MB
    Windows® XP Professional
    160GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 5,400 RPM w/ 8MB Cache
    256MB ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1800
    8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo
    Alienware® m5750 17" WideXGA+ 1440 x 900 LCD

Cost: $2,859.00

MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo 17” Laptop

2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1680 x 1050 pixels
    2GB memory