• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Historic Instruments

Share/Bookmark

Historic Instruments

It is a year or two now since a library of historical instruments for GPO was said to be under development. Is there any new information as to when this may become available? This is my main interest and I have to make do with modern instruments.

Re: Historic Instruments

Quote Originally Posted by dgb24435
    It is a year or two now since a library of historical instruments for GPO was said to be under development. Is there any new information as to when this may become available? This is my main interest and I have to make do with modern instruments.
    Was it mentioned? I don't remember hearing about it. Maybe it was GPOA, which as far as I know will only have more "modern" samples?

Cheers Matt

If you are looking for middle-age to late renaissance instruments, I suggest you give a look to Early Patches and Banchetto Musicale:

http://www.sumerauer.de/early_patche...ish/index2.htm

I own a copy of the first one, and it's fantastic (and very inexpensive). Sounds beautifully with Kontakt.

Let us not forget that early music instrument samples would appeal only to a very small number of musicians. For one thing, nobody is composing new lute music. They're all still transcribing John Dowland compositions from the Elizabethan era. Even if you're Sting.

So most early music people want to perform Buxtehude in a live concert with period-appropriate instruments. Creating mockups of new arrangements with virtual instruments and Finale is not a priority.

I agree that it would be cool to have a good library of period instruments, but, realistically, such a library would not sell enough copies to justify the cost of creating it.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Williams
    Let us not forget that early music instrument samples would appeal only to a very small number of musicians.

Don't forget the application of these instruments in film/TV music. They could be used either to add an unusual color to the modern palette, or to provide period-style music for period movies. I could see them working well in a Lord of the Rings fantasy-type setting as well.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Inkfingers
    Don't forget the application of these instruments in film/TV music. They could be used either to add an unusual color to the modern palette, or to provide period-style music for period movies. I could see them working well in a Lord of the Rings fantasy-type setting as well.

-
    If only Howard Shore had felt that way when he scored the three films!
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by dgb24435
    We have many historic instruments recorded, but with so many other projects having priority we cannot give a date as to when this will be released just yet.

Gary

I must be one of the few composers who actually think of composing for period instruments, for example baroque strings, baroque oboe, traverse flute and recorder, viola da gamba and viols, harpsichord, lute and chittarone, cornet and sackbut, and particularly antique and period-style organs. Very, very few currently available samples come even close to being satisfactory for . In fact, I often select completely different sounds simply to endure the playback while editing, and hope to hear the true acoustic sounds during performance.

Sure, the potential "market" is small, and perhaps financially not lucrative. But if that value is applied to everything in life what a dull world we would have.

Quote Originally Posted by organos
    I must be one of the few composers who actually think of composing for period instruments, for example baroque strings, baroque oboe, traverse flute and recorder, viola da gamba and viols, harpsichord, lute and chittarone, cornet and sackbut, and particularly antique and period-style organs. Very, very few currently available samples come even close to being satisfactory for . In fact, I often select completely different sounds simply to endure the playback while editing, and hope to hear the true acoustic sounds during performance.

Sure, the potential "market" is small, and perhaps financially not lucrative. But if that value is applied to everything in life what a dull world we would have.
    I agree and there are many historic instruments in GPO which I use extensively.

I believe Gary did mention a while back that he is considering more baroque instruments in GPOA. See this thread by Gary from a GPOA discussion.

The thought of that fortepiano .. ohhhh ..
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    We have many historic instruments recorded, but with so many other projects having priority we cannot give a date as to when this will be released just yet.

Gary
    Thanks for this info Gary. I'm really looking forward to this. It is my opinion that a good historic intruments library will, in fact, sell well.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum