• Register
  • Help

Topic: Convolution Reverb - Is GigaPulse VST the best choice?

Share/Bookmark

Convolution Reverb - Is GigaPulse VST the best choice?

Hi,

I have one computer running Cubase SX3/GPO/EWQL Choirs and another box dedicated to GigaStudio 3 Orchestra, with Giga Teleport connecting GS to Cubase via VST. Unfortunately when I have big sample libraries running in GS I'm unable to have more than 2-3 gigapulse instances running on the GS box before running out of CPU and getting drop outs. Both my boxes have 2 GB of ram and 3.4 Ghz Pentium 4 CPUs.

So, I've been doing my GS reverb on the Cubase box instead using the free Garritan reverb.. It's OK but I'd like to purchase something better..

I'm leaning towards GigaPulse VST but am concerned that I may run into the same limit on instances that I run into on GigaStudio. (I intend to get the GVI upgrade as well so I can run GVI on my Cubase box for additional samples).

Is GigaPulse VST the best choice there is for convolution reverb or are there other options I should look into?

Thanks!

Re: Convolution Reverb - Is GigaPulse VST the best choice?

I have both GS3 Gigapulse and Altiverb 5 and there is absolutely no comparison, IMO.

It is now available for both Mac and Windows.
    Dan

What do you mean - which is better??

I'm such a nut, sorry, I meant Altiverb 5 is superior.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Dan

How much CPU does it eat up? How many instances would I be able to have running? Could it run on my GS3 box too (as I think GS supports VST reverb plug-ins)

Mike

Hi Mike,
    I don't know how many instances of Altiverb you would be able to use, that is always determined by your processor speed as well as other programs running. I do know that Altiverb 5 has a feature that allows you to set it to "high efficiency mode", this causes considerably more latency, but who cares, at that point, you will not be recording, only mixing.

I use a Mac G5 that only has a dual 2.0 ghz processor with 3.5 gigs of ram and I have never had an issue where I could not load another instance. For orchestral projects, I commonly use between six and eight instances of Altiverb, all running simultaneously without the "high latency" selected. With your processor speed, you will be amazed at the amount of instances you can use. Audio Ease (Altiverb) also advertises that their convolution reverb is the most efficient in the industry, and I believe it.

Feel free to visit My Public Profile and listen to the music I have created with Altiverb and Garritan Libraries.

Dan

Go Back to forum