• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Sound Effects" samples - Where to start?

Share/Bookmark

"Sound Effects" samples - Where to start?

Hi everybody!

I hope this is not too OT for this forum...

Recently I've been dabbling into sound post-production for amateur movies. I quickly ran out of places on the net to download sound effects from (Those usually also are never quite exactly what you want for your needs anyway). Recording my own effects is not viable due to lack of money/time/experience/skill at this time.

So: Do you know some websites or real life resources where I could improve my theoretical knowledge of this stuff? Do you maybe know where to get extensive AND cheap libraries of various effects (e.g. lots of Footsteps, body sounds, explosions, shots, machines and vehicles, ...)? Maybe a website reviewing them? Online communities for this kind of sound works?

I found some commerical packages (e.g. the Red/Blue/etc boxes from bestservice) but seem to be unable to find reviews of those...

Thanks for your help!
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Re: "Sound Effects" samples - Where to start?

From what I hear Blue Box is Excellent, I have it on my list of things to buy for the studio..
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

I´ve been in the same situation musicpete. Unfortunately I havent bought anything.

You could try out the mi7libraries and sign up for a free 10 euro download. http://www.mi7libraries.com

I´ve been surfing the web alot for freebies, and I must say it´s hard to find good quality.

/Johnny

It's not free, but I can HIGHLY reccomend the Hollywood Edge Library. It's a bit pricey, but everything on the disks are excellent and usable. You can also just buy one cd at a time- when I last purchased, it was around $75 per cd. Once again, though- REALLY high grade stuff here.

Mark

Hi,
    Maybe you can find what you need here. Good luck!

http://sounddogs.com/

Steph

There is also the sony pictures sound effects series.

I have no idea how much it costs, or if it's worth it. They have samples to download from the site. Most of them sound pretty good to me.

Here's another vote for the www.sounddogs.com resource.

Jerry

www.jerrypettit.com/blog

I second (3rd, or maybe 4th even... :P) sounddogs.com... They have absolutley everything and you can preview everything in their site, and they ship in downloadable forms almost immediately!

Plus: The have an excellent support system. They're support group are online on AIM and MSN,. so you can chat real-time for any problem you might have. An excellent site!

Thank you very much for all those suggestions!

You gave me a very good headstart! Now I can go and explore from there.

Thanks again!
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Why there is no big VST sound effect library?
    There is a gap.

Go Back to forum