• Register
  • Help

Topic: What is the scenario for DAW

Share/Bookmark

What is the scenario for DAW

I know that it is a vaste question concerning thousands of DAW users but here I go!

Past - Present - Future ?

For me FUTURE is already the past autumn 2006. Why? Because things are going so FAST! To be honest I have been a little bit "out" for a while but know I am back.

These days I am thinking about "new" DAW. I am saying "new" because nowadays I am quite not sure if it´s good to swich to a Intel Duo Core/Vista (and wich Vista?) or go to a very good and cheaper Pentium D 3GHz with a good Asus proved board and XP. This dilemma is essentially due to the fact that I am (surely not the only one) a little bit confused with too much possiblities.
    What for a "new" DAW?
    In my case it is for triggering K2 by midi for having access to a lot of samples (piano, Orch, etc...) not overloading the primary DAW (old one but funtionning good with SX3)
    I invite both, persons that are "a little bit confused" and persons that have a more clear idea of how is the scenario.
    I think that technology of computer is ridding to fast somewhat!

Thanks,

Re: What is the scenario for DAW

In terms of capabilities, the new Conroe duel core chips are far better than any Pentium D. They are much faster, while also using far less energy. As mentioned in another thread, comparison tests can be found at ADK's website (I don't recall the exact link), but the link was given some time back in another thread.

As for Vista, most think it is best to wait up to a year, or at least until a service pack one is released, and the o/s becomes stable. At present, very few DAW related drivers even exist, although I think MOTU has released some - though few others have, so it is a moot point. Personally, I would strongly recommend waiting on Vista.

HTH

Jim

Hi Jim,

So maybe I have to go with a Conroe Dual Core and XP Pro. I have to see the price differences of processors, boards, memory and HD are the same for both solutions. Is the statement regarding memory always true: "The more, the better" what would be the highest limit 20 GB? (kidding), no but 3 GB maybe.
    I will find the ADK´s site for comparison chart of CPU.

Thanks,

The link is http://www.adkproaudio.com/ isn´t it?

... and for CPU comparison it is http://www.adkproaudio.com/benchmarks.cfm

You can also build a very good budget system with an AMD x2 chip - they are less expensive. As for memory, the AMD related mobos support up to 4 gigs, while the Conroe mobos support up to 8 gigs of ram - of potential benefit once Vista becomes a stable operating system. 32 bit XP operating systems will support up to 4 gigs of ram, although one gig will be reserved for the o/s. There appears to be relatively little support for 64 bit XP, and IMHO it is rather an orphan with the upcoming release of Vista. Nevertheless, unless a given program is large address aware, it will only recognize 2 gigs of ram max.

Jim

I feel that X64 doesn't get the attention it deserves.

One can load e.g. 4 gigs of sample data in one Halion instance.
    Given that and the relative stability of XP pro X64, I don't see much point in running a 32 bit OS.
    Don't know if a move to Vista X64 would make sense right now. But I have very few problems with XP pro X64 other then Cubase 4 not willing to load the very latest updated VSTi's from NI. Surely that will be sorted out some day...
    Supermicro H8DCE, 2*285 Opterons, 16GB Ram, 3TB WD & Seagate drives, MSI 7600GS & XFX 6600GT, Emu 1820m, Thermaltake 750W PSU, watercooling by Zalman & Innovatek, Windows XP64 SP2, Cubase 4.1

Go Back to forum