• Register
  • Help

Topic: Customizing GVI

Share/Bookmark

Customizing GVI

Hi folks. I like the way in GVI when you select LOAD for a channel, you can get a well ordered listing of the content that came with GVI to select from. But can you customize that listing to include anything else besides the content that comes with it? And how do you do searches for .gig files or whatever when using GVI rather then GS 3.2?

Thanks ......... Rob

Re: Customizing GVI

Hi folks. I don't know if anyone is particularly interested in this finding I've made or even whether it's new to anyone but I thought I'd go ahead and say something for those who have not already found this:

In answer to my question on this thread, in the GVI program folder is a file called GVI.GVK. This is a standard text type file so you can look at it and edit it with any file editor program. This file is where the entries you see under LOAD in GVI come from for the included sample libraries and how the individual instruments in each .gig file are broken up for you to select.

This file can be edited and made to display any .gig, .gsi, etc files you want in any organization, including listing the individual instruments within a .gig file.

Of course, unlike the full GigaStudio program, with Quicksound, which will automatically rebuild the database of files for you, GVI.GVK has to be edited by hand. However, once you set it up for a given set of samples, it should not change for that particular product.

I am slowly reworking this whole file to suit my needs and it really makes GVI more friendly for me. I am currently working on including all of the GigaStudio Orchestra samples into the file so that all included content from those two products is listed. I have created a high level index for 'Included Content' which they are all getting listed under now.

For the file to be really beneficial, you have to put in an entry for each instrument in the .gig file so that they can be listed separately. I admit this takes some time but when you're through, for me it's really worth it.

Once I get everything listed, including sample products that didn't come with GS or GVI, rearranging them into an order that is more meaningful to me will be easy because everything I own will already be somewhere in the file and I will just have to rearrange the entries.

As I said, perhaps most of you would not take the time to do this. But for me it will be very worthwhile and I thought that perhaps for some other people, knowing about this would be helpful. I intend to be using GVI almost exclusively over GS because my usage will be for live playing and GVI is perfect for that.

So many of you have so much more experience with all of this than me. I just want to be able to give back a little if possible for all the great help I always get on this forum. I hope this info helps someone.

Rob

Re: Customizing GVI

Thanks, I've wondered about that.

Go Back to forum