• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Cubase SX3 or Sonar 5?

Share/Bookmark

Cubase SX3 or Sonar 5?

Which one???

Re: Cubase SX3 or Sonar 5?

You really should give more information about what kind of music you do, what your current setup is like, and what kind of features you must have in a host sequencer. Without telling us the details, you'll only get subjective personal tastes, which may have nothing in common with your own preferences.

I personally use Sonar because I prefer the workflow/interface, and the included audio effects plugins are far superior to the ones in Cubase SX--for the same price. Sonar 5 is IMO head above shoulders a better deal than Cubase SX 3 in terms of what's included in the package--just look at the listed new features/tools at cakewalk's site, then compare those to what's offered in Cubase SX 3--no comparison at all IMO.

I've also always preferred the vibe of Cakewalk as a company a lot more than Steinberg. Steinberg has always been a bit of an odd company, from their website layout to marketing department to even their UI design of products. For example, try to find out about Cubase SX 3 on their website, and you'll see how terrible their marketing department is compared to Cakewalk's. Cakewalk's website has loads of information that's easy to navigate, while Steinberg's website has always been lacking in navigation and content.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatique
    You really should give more information about what kind of music you do, what your current setup is like, and what kind of features you must have in a host sequencer. Without telling us the details, you'll only get subjective personal tastes, which may have nothing in common with your own preferences...
    Agreed there. Personally, I am partial to Cubase because of the workflow. I find it much easier to work with, and coming from Vision, there was almost no learning curve. Basically, they both do the same thing, and in the end what you put in is what you'll get out. Best suggestion anyone can give you is make a trip to your local music retailer(s) and try them both out for yourself.

Cheers.

Today, most working softwares of this kind provides you with pretty much everything you need - wether you go cubase, Logic, Sonar, DP or any other in roughly the same ballpark. The question of workflow and feeling of intuitiveness really is one of the top things to decide from. Try to get yourself demos, check them out at friends or collegues.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

tnx guys

i migrated from cakewalk to sx3 and are very happy

used sonar 3 and 4

I really can't make up my mind. I've searched the forum and they're both excellent products. I'd like to make up my mind in a few days time.

Which one works best for midi-composing? Which one is more CPU friendly? And which one has the better audio engine?

Thanks for sharing,

Mark

Hello there,

I'd suggest to look down the road. One day you may decide to give a try to Mac OSX, especially with dual-boot MacIntel. Cubase will run on it for sure. Sonar?..

Cheers,

ck

http://www.tweakheadz.com/sx3_vs_sonar4.htm

The results are in and Cubase SX3 takes the number one honors. In a recent independent test conducted by Digital Music Doctor Steinberg's latest offering of Cubase has scored number one in all categories. Over 130 individual functions where tested and then broken up into 4 main categories and overall in the end Cubase SX3 nudged them all out. The test results are rated 0-5 (5 being the highest)

http://www.steinbergcanada.com/shootout.htm
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Give them both a thorough look. I'm a cubaser, but sonar is a great product also.

And, sorry lunatique, I don't think website design should have much influence on your descision.

Good luck.

Go Back to forum