• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Upgrade from Sonar 4 to Sonar 5, or wait for 6?

Share/Bookmark

Upgrade from Sonar 4 to Sonar 5, or wait for 6?

I'm considering upgrading to Sonar 5.. from version 4 (Studio edition). But it doesn't seem like there are really any major new features, are there? I noticed a couple MIDI editing things that are nice. Cakewalk is pretty aggressive with new releases as far as timelines go.. anyone know if Sonar 6 is due out any time soon?

Sorry, I didn't know where to post this. They got rid of the "Software" forum.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: Upgrade from Sonar 4 to Sonar 5, or wait for 6?

I believe v6 is due out in a few weeks, but better to go here to ask the qustion
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tt.asp?forumid=5

My personal advice would be to upgrade from v4 to Pro Tools 7.1. I recently went from Sonar 5 to pro Tools and couldn't be happier :-)

Mal

I know I am waiting for 6. There are some nice advantages to 5, but I cannot justify the cost, for those enhancements.

Keep in mind ...

Last year, about this time Cakewalk offered a promo upgrade to the next version for free, you have to purchase the current version. Before you purchase, make sure you call and ask about their current promotion. Last time I called (early July) Believe it is currently $30 off with free shipping for the Producer Edition. I have no affiliation with cakewalk, so I don't know how or if the promotion is current.

The promotion seems to change every month. Their email marketing is totally sporked, with many users not recieving any newsletters with the promotional code. My advice is to call.

EDIT: When I called them they said it would be late Sept / early Oct for the sonar release.

Once the free upgrade path is offered (Pay for Sonar 5 and get the Sonar 6 upgrade for free), I will upgrade.

Their new releases are typically around September or October I believe.

I'll wait for 6 then.. v4 is working out for me just fine.

Thanks for the advice!
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

I'm on Sonar 4 and see no reason to upgrade to 5. It just doesn't have any major new features, at least not ones I need or want.

I stayed on Sonar 2 for ages which worked great, and only finally upgraded to 4 specifically to get folder tracks, as I could see that being useful for the way I work.

Cakewalk bring out their upgrades pretty often - some would say too often, given that they're not cheap. Sonar's a great program but you could easily go broke taking every upgrade for the hell of it.

I'm not sure what's coming up in Sonar 6. Any ideas?

I upgraded to 5 and wish I hadn't. It's less stable than 4, loads slower, and the new features are not really that big a deal.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    I'm pretty sure that's cause the VST is now built in.
    Oh, I didn't know that. Does this mean you don't have to run the VST adapter any more?

I just had a look on the Cakewalk forum and it would appear that is not in fact the case. So are you just referring to the fact that the VST adapter is Cakewalk-branded rather than Fxpansion-branded?

In which case that is so with version 4 too.

I agree - I bought the full version of Sonar 5 PE and it works pretty darn great. Very few crashes (usually due to a bad vst instrument).

I have done tons of successful projects with it - it's awesome!

So how much will the 5 -> 6 upgrade be?

I didn't even hear about v6 coming around?

Mike

Go Back to forum