• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Finale/Sonar

Share/Bookmark

Finale/Sonar

Hi everyone.

I have several questions for those of you who use Finale and Sonar together.

Can you give a basic 123 on how an arrangement can go from Finale into Sonar then allow for vocal tracks to be added WITHOUT saving the Finale file as a wave and just importing it into Sonar?

Can Finale export only certain parts per .wav or must it be the total arrangement?

How well would the midi file from Finale transfer over to Sonar for more editing? Also, what about the GPO features in midi? Will they transfer to Sonar?

I'm really pleased with Sonar for tracking and mixing, but I used Finale years ago when it first came out, and with Garritan and Kontakt being included in Finale, I may just go with that for my arrangements.

Also, which forum do you suggest for Finale?

Finally, on the Finale site they show Garritan has a General Midi product available and I was wondering if any of you use it? Does it only include GM in one form or are there variations for different instruments? I'm looking at electric pianos, pad, etc.

Thanks!
    Earl Green

Re: Finale/Sonar

Have you tryed to export a midi file from finale, open it in Sonar and then use the same presets for the kontakt player?
    Marcelo Colina

Hi Marcelo,

I don't own Finale yet. That's why I'm asking before I spend the money.

If this doesn't work for me, I will do it a different way.

Thanks
    Earl Green

Exporting a MIDI file from Finale into Sonar is how I would go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by earlwgreen
    Also, which forum do you suggest for Finale?
    http://forum.makemusic.com/

Finally, on the Finale site they show Garritan has a General Midi product available and I was wondering if any of you use it? Does it only include GM in one form or are there variations for different instruments? I'm looking at electric pianos, pad, etc.
    The Garritan General MIDI product has been announced, but has not been released yet, unless I'm totally out of the loop. I think the Finale site is taking pre-orders for it.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Vocal tracks aren't my challenge... guitar tracks are!

I find that both Finale-to-Sonar and Sonar-to-Finale can work, depending on what you are trying to do at any given moment. In fact, though I have not done it in a while, running the two programs in parallel is also a valid approach.

What does not work, at least for me, is repeated trips back and forth. The constant changes to both the written score and the underlying MIDI data creates havoc!

Something I've been experimenting with recently is recording the output, as processed by human playback, from Finale into Sonar. It isn't perfect, and I end up still going in and tweaking, but I think I do a little less tweaking than if I create a simple MIDI file in Finale and import it into Sonar. I'm not sure though!

What has worked in the past, but it is a royal pain to set up and get working, is to run the two programs side by side. It ought to be a lot easier than it is, but there is often some in-fighting between the two programs over the device drivers.

I had hoped that I might be able to take the midi out from Finale and drive various soft synths in Sonar on the fly, but it hasn't worked out so well in practice.

Sometimes I write music by, well, writing music. That is, pen to paper, or in my case, mouse to Finale. I tend to think much better this way. Or I like the music that comes out better when I work this way.

But it isn't always the case, and sometimes I start a project in Sonar, but need printable parts, and thus I'll have to copy the MIDI to Finale, and then transcribe what ever audio tracks I want to keep.

It strikes me, from time to time, that the ideal arrangemen would be for Finale to be integrated into Sonar, but given the huge difference between what we might sequence vs what we might write, I'm not sure the result would be all that different.

Would it be cool if Finale added at least one stereo audio track? Probably, for very simple projects, but then I suspect you'd still need to move it back to Sonar for final mix.

I think the root of the problem is that standard notation is still an imperfect way to record what's going on in a musical passage. It's the best we have, but it is imperfect. Each of the respective companies has sought to make their side of the equation as good as they can, and I think they do a pretty good job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae
    Would it be cool if Finale added at least one stereo audio track? Probably, for very simple projects, but then I suspect you'd still need to move it back to Sonar for final mix.
    Haven't tried it, but my understanding is that you can open one audio file in Finale now, using the Video Sync feature.

I can confirm that you can open mp3 files in F2k7 using the movie window.

It would be a challenge to score against the audio file if it is not in strict tempo though.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    I can confirm that you can open mp3 files in F2k7 using the movie window.
    Too cool! Now I guess I have to upgade<G>!

[/quote]It would be a challenge to score against the audio file if it is not in strict tempo though.[/QUOTE]

Excellent point! One of those little things I just don't think about when I'm typing on the forum... but that probably is the big decision maker as to whether to work in Finale or Sonar... even if I don't think about it.

When I work in Sonar I often start with a guitar track. And Sonar lets me work against that guitar track even if it is not strictly locked to a tempo.

When I work in Finale I might mess with tempo a little, but usually I am just writing, and I'll mess with tempo later, in Sonar.

Dang, never really thought about it that way.

OK, I'll revise my wish to include some kind of conform to tempo tool as well as the audio track<G>!

Bill

wait a minute... I wonder if their tap tempo feature would do the trick. I'll bet it would get awfully close.

Now I guess I really have to upgrade to give it a try!!!

Bill

Well, guys, I've been reading your replies and doing more research, and it does appear it will be easier for me to just continue using Sonar and skip Finale at this point.

I need the pro end plug-ins for vocals and possible live violin/fiddle so unless someone has a better way for me to do it, I'll just go back to buying GPO then add Kontakt later.

It would be great if you could just make a .wav for each part in Finale then copy those to Sonar for final mixing. That would take time, but I can't seem to find out what quality the wav files will be. I've probably just missed it somewhere.

Any other thoughts, please share them!
    Earl Green

Go Back to forum