• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Sonar 6 is very nice

Share/Bookmark

Sonar 6 is very nice

...In fact it's wicked cool! (to borrow some New England jargon)

Sorry if you were expecting a thorough review...having way too much fun right now. Just thought I'd pop in and mention it.

Use of virtual instruments and samplers within the host is now seamless. Automate anything...Roll your own knobs to control them...cool stuff!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Re: Sonar 6 is very nice

I know this is a dumb question, but I take it the upgrade is worth it?

I was disaapointed with the functionality of Sonar 5 (not as stable as Sonar 4 on my system) and don't really see anything that makes me think S6 is a "must-buy", but if the users think otherwise, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks,
    Wes
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

what'd you do, drive to Boston and grab a copy from their dispay?

I'm sitting by the door every day awaiting the UPS or FedEx or even USPS truck, whatever they use these days, but it never seems to come.

Bill
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Hehe!

No, they started shooting them out on Friday via Fed Ex 2nd day. (You have to sign for it btw).
    They should have sent you an email with tracking # and the number you use to get your other number.
    They are shipping them out by order recieved but starting with those going from S5 to S6 (I think).

Wes, I'll get back to ya man! I'll say this though, I love love love it! But then I liked the 4 to 5 update quite a bit as well. It takes a little getting used to. A lot has changed (for the better) and there is so much more neat stuff - can't even begin to describe. The new "ACT" thing makes the instrument rack a monster. The loopy slicing quantize thing is very cool (but I probably won't use that much). You can now customize your menus and plugs and everything you can think of. The automation is worth it alone. You should go to the site and check it out. I wasn't initially all that phased by the feature list, but now that I have it, I can tell you that it's a Major upgrade. They didn't just slap a new skin on it. Plus, it SEEMS at this point that I am taking less of a CPU/RAM hit (but that may be my imagination) time will tell.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Thank you for the info. I was delighted over Sonar 5, so I know that the 6 upgrade is going to be slamming!

I'll order it after the weekend.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    ...In fact it's wicked cool! (to borrow some New England jargon)
    You mean: "It's a wickid pissa!" (Boston and surrounding areas)

I mean, Jeezum Crow (Vermont), get yer dialects straight...

Sonar 5 was so impossibly unstable on my machine that it caused me to move over to Cubase, which runs flawlessly.

I tend to believe that the constant crashes in Sonar had mostly to do with Tascam's wonderful drivers for my old US-428, which I just sold to finance the purchase of a Firepod. Woo-hoo! Maybe it's time to revisit Sonar!

It's odd really, and I think the basis of the myth that only Pro Tools on a Mac is acceptable for "professional" work (not that the Avid folks do much to kill that rumor<G>!)

Any given software tool on a Windows platform may, or may not work for any given individual! There really is little rhyme or reason... or I suppose I should say quantifying the reason why one persons DAW is stable and another person's is not is very difficult.

And certainly digital audio production puts extreme demands on a computer, which makes the topic a hot one on any forum that discusses such tools!

I've had good and bad experiences with Sonar, Finale, GigaStudio, and other tools on pretty much every version of Windows. I can change motherboards, memory, cpu, disk drives, even audio and MIDI interfaces, and in the end I might get better results, and I might get worse.

What is really fascinating is when you make a change that ought to, in the real world, be a net no-change.... and yet the system behaves differently.

Case in point... I had GigaStudio 2.5 running under Win2K-SP4 on an Athlon Tbird 2500+ with 1GB of memory. It worked pretty well... a corrupted Gig file still stood a good chance of hosing things, instead of exiting gracefully, but that was about the only problem.

Then I upgraded to Windows XP SP2 and GS3, all the hardware remained the same. I did format the system drive before installation, just to be safe.

Nothing worked! I mean crash city. It was ugly.

In the hope of getting to the bottom of the problem I installed a new system disk so I would have space to have multiple copies of the "C" partition for troubleshooting and experimenting.

Never got that far... the thing is working better than my GS2.5 environment. All I changed in this case was the hard disk that hosts the operating system and applications.

Just for laughs, I copied the partition in it's entirety to the old disk and booted from it. Same deal, works well.

Explain that if you can!!!

I think part of the equation is Microsoft's bizarre patch process, which takes forever, and never seems to apply all the same patches even two times in a row.

Part of it certainly is the fact that two identical hardware platforms are difficult to come by. Each of us uses ever so slightly different video cards, audio and midi interfaces, brands of memory, not to mention motherboards and cpus.

And each of us installs our own collection of "must have" utilities. No two collections are the same I'd guess.

Which brings us to Sonar... I've been using Cakewalk since Pro Audio Version 6. I've had really great experiences along the way, and I've had some frustrating one.

Oddly enough I can't pinpoint which ones were the worst, or even the best. I seem to remember that Sonar V3 was a pretty smooth transition, and I vaguely remember wrestling a bit with either 4 or 5, but I don't remember why.

In some cases I've been annoyed with features they included that I don't use, and in some cases I've been annoyed that long standing issues still aren't fixed, and of course there is the ever changing collection of add-ons, which is a minor sticking point...

But I've never run into a show-stopping instability, nothing that would make me go through the pain and suffering associated with learning a new toolset!!!

However, I have witnessed such episodes at friends studios. Really hairy, crash-prone setups that worked before the upgrade. And I haven't a clue as to why.

In one extreme case, I had built the system for my friend, and it was as close to identical to mine as humanly possible. All the hardware was the same, the only real difference was that I own a handful of utilities that he did not deem essential. These are all file management tools (Clone Master, NTD Match, and Partition Magic), and ought to have nothing to do with the DAW.

Yet my system worked, and his did not. Same drivers, almost all the same DAW tools (I use Sound Forge and he did not), and completely different behavior.

So we did the obvious... we swapped system disks. His system disk worked pretty well on my hardware, mine worked fine on his. We swapped back... mine worked on mine (thank goodness), his was still a mess. Reinstalled on a new system disk for him, still a mess.

This was Sonar Version 3, btw. By the time we were ready to throw in the towel a patch was released. We installed it, I was pretty sure this was an exercise in futility, but darned if the thing did not work!

And it has worked ever since, through several updates. He even bought and installed Project5 long before I did, and still, no problems.

It makes no sense to me...

But getting back to the topic at hand - I am looking forward to Sonar 6, already placed my order, and am looking out the window for the Fedex truck as I type<G>...

Bill

ps- I'll still keep my fingers crossed when I install!!!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

I certainly know where you're coming from Bill.

I have a pretty good multi-PC system now, with Sonar 4 and a couple of Gigastudios. I haven't had any serious DAW-stopping problems (such as pops and clicks, driver incompatibilities, BSODs or anything) for a few years now. But there are still mysteries - odd things that don't work the way you expect, and then one day just DO work for no apparent reason. Or the other way around...

But I think there's an element of cumulative skills and wisdom involved. Once you've set up a good number of DAWs, used them and troubleshooted them, you get gradually better at it, and naturally do a lot of small things in such a way that they contribute to overall stability. I think that's sometimes the key factor.

And no internet connection. That makes a big difference.

It is all a bit of a black art though.

I was in the middle of a project with Sonar 4 when S5 came out and lucky for me I broke my rule and installed the upgrade before I was done. I was amazed at how much better the mixes sounded under S5. I can't believe S6 can do much more for the mix quality but I ordered it anyway.

Howard

Go Back to forum