• Register
  • Help

Topic: Have you upgraded to Cubase 4 yet?

Share/Bookmark

Have you upgraded to Cubase 4 yet?

Hi all,

Cubase 4's new features look nice, but is the program stable enough? Have you had any problems with it?

Ps. Where the heck is the general software discussion section?!?

Thanks and happy holidays for everyone!
    Passion for Sound
    http://www.soundreel.com

Re: Have you upgraded to Cubase 4 yet?

I was thinking about upgrading from Cubase SL 3 to Cubase Studio 4, but I'll wait a bit till some bugs are fixed. The Mediabay seems a bit buggy yet.

Have a look here to have an idea:

http://cubase.net/phpbb2/viewforum.p...e3fb0047b23fcf
    -Dani-

I've upgraded, and it's very stable on my system. The gui is nice, plus there's a lot of little workflow type improvements. The SX 2 to SX 3 probably had more really new innovative stuff, while the latest upgrade has things which make a better working environment.

Just make sure you do not have any DX instruments you can't live without, as they dropped support for Dx. OF course, you can use SX3 and CB 4 on the same machine, same dongle.

I am finally migrating my orchestral setup (> 140 midi tracks and mixer settings) to Cubase 4, after updating and updating SX without ever using it.

This release seemed the right moment and coming from Logic 5.5.1 for PC the mixer is surely a delight!

But: I wonder, is Cubase a CPU hog? I have not yet implemented all my 12 stereo input settings into CB4's mixer, but I'm a bit weiry that I won't be able to do the same processing in CB4's mixer as I did in Logic...

My DAW is an Athlon 3000 and I use remote GigaStudio PC's, via 3 Adat connections (so: 12 stereo inputs).

Curious about your impressions on CB4's CPU usage!

This is a little vague I know, but CPU usage is about what it was in SX3, but a good bit more than in SX2. I can run GVi with C4 loaded up with all 16 channels without much fuss, but adding reverb and other stuff taxes the system. As far as being a "hog", well it's not too bad, but pretty easy to max out with all of the cool stuff available these days.

Right now I am learning the joys of Steinberg's V-stack, one of the coolest little utilities ever. The way I am working now is using GVI (and G3, which I find myself using less now that I have GVI) as a standalone on a seperate computer, and a third computer running V-stack as an effects rack. if you have CPU problems, this is the easiest, slickest way I have found to shift the load to another processor. And althouh I have not tried it, I'm thinking GVI and Gigapulse loaded into V-stack would be good combination.

Maybe in a few years with 64 bit processing, something will come along to eliminate the need to share processor load, but for now sharing the load among different computers works well for me.

BTW, I came from Logic 5.5 as well. I find Cubase's mixer, with its three different configurations in the same project, much more intuitive and workflow oriented. Logic's included EQ sounded much better, but I use a third party EQ now so it's not much of an issue.

Interesting remark about the EQ. Yesterday I read a review of CB4's Equalisation compared the the Wave Ren and Q plugins, and the author was definitely more impressed by Cubase 4's integrated EQ's!
    I like their GUI and the fact that they are integrated into the mixer.
    Maybe I should try to EQ some commercial productions and compare them myself as well.

I have still not ported all my mixer settings, so I am still anxious about the CPU usage of Cubase 4, given that my Mobo is at its limit with an Athlon 3000 CPU...

A DAW upgrade would thus mean: another Mobo, CPU and RAM. Hmm, I hope I can get FX-Teleport working again. I ran into nasty problems with it last weeks (after I built a dedicated reverb Sempron PC).

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos
    But: I wonder, is Cubase a CPU hog? I have not yet implemented all my 12 stereo input settings into CB4's mixer, but I'm a bit weiry that I won't be able to do the same processing in CB4's mixer as I did in Logic...
    Going from Logic 5 to Cubase 4 is like going from Windows 98 to Vista. It takes more, but you get more.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum