• Register
  • Help

Topic: Evening final mix volume...

Share/Bookmark

Question Evening final mix volume...

Hi all. As a K-5 music teacher I've been using midi files as accompaniments for the past several years. I usually run them straight from sonar or cakewalk but on occasion I have to run them from CD for a concert. The concert I'm doing today has 4 different tunes that I worked up with GPO and JABB (a first for me). The files started out as GM midi files exported from Band in a Box or downloaded from midi arrangements on-line. My main question is...How do I get them to be at an optimal sound level for CD, or at least the same as each other? Also, why does the mix sound different running from Sonar than it does when exported as a wav file? Thanks. ~Eric

Re: Evening final mix volume...

You need to "normalize" the level of your files after you export them to wav. That can be done with some audio editor, like soundforge or audacity. If you will use them in a noisy enviroment, probably will be a good thing to apply some compression to your wav file. That can be done inside Sonar, or with some audio editor too.
    If your mix sound diffrent than what you hear inside Sonar, probably you have to choose some diffrent options in the export audio dialog. I believe that there is a preset called "What'u hear" that makes that your export sounds the same that you hear when you hit the "play" button inside Sonar.

Luck!
    Marcelo Colina

Thanks. What are other beniefits of using Soundforge or Audacity and which one is preferred?

Quote Originally Posted by ofafeather
    Thanks. What are other beniefits of using Soundforge or Audacity and which one is preferred?
    Audacity is free. (download here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)

Soundforge is pricey (I think?...you'll need to check).

I'd recommend starting with Audacity, and then determining if you need more functionality later.

Quote Originally Posted by ofafeather
    Soundforge and Audacity are dedicateds Audio Editors, you can edit and tweak details in the wave file. Sonar and others allow you to make some editing of the wave files, but only the basic. If i must make an analogy, is like when you add a photo to a Word document. You can make some basic edition of it, but if you open it in Photoshop, you can edit it in a more detailed way, with lot of functios available.
    Like Fox said, you can try Audacity, wich is free. Goldwave is another audio editor, shareware, that is nice, affordable, and let you download it and use for evaluation, without restrictions.
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by marce
    If i must make an analogy, is like when you add a photo to a Word document. You can make some basic edition of it, but if you open it in Photoshop, you can edit it in a more detailed way, with lot of functios available.
    That's a great analogy!

I'm stealing it!

-Fox

Thanks for the great input. I'll download Audacity. Any input on how best to get started with it? ~Eric

Go Back to forum