• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mahler 2nd Symphony 1st Movement

Share/Bookmark

Mahler 2nd Symphony 1st Movement

This is my first attempt at any Mahler's symphonic movements...and is also the first piece of Mahler's music I heard.

the file is in 3 parts RARed, please download them all and unrar them.
    part1:http://www.box.net/public/triiu6euyl
    part2:http://www.box.net/public/iene5xg4j0
    part3:http://www.box.net/public/tph8z9x481

Re: Mahler 2nd Symphony 1st Movement

Hi kanazo,

first a warm welcome to this forum.

To our other forum members: It is a bit tedious to download these three parts and unrar it, but I would reccommend you do it or you will really miss something.

Isn't Mahler great? What a piece, what a piece ...

The fact that I start with commenting the music and not the rendering has its reason. The rendering is so fantastic that I was really drawed into the music and not disturbed by synthetic sounds. Yeah the high strings sometimes stick out but when don't they. Individual EQing is the key here. Besides that really fantastic. How long did you work on it and how?

There is quite some clipping though. It is well worth looking at the waveform:

There things begin to get a bit complicated. You want to have your music 'hot' and powerful but not distorted. The ears cheat sometimes depending on your monitoring system quality and your musical engagement - the more engaged you play the less objective you hear. A brickwall limiter helps a lot.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

hmmm, i worked on for about a bit more than 2 weeks. I actually recorded all parts myself, played on keyboard...its tedious but I prefer doing that than just using notation program. Also I'm not sure how to get rid of distortion...once the music reaches ff or fff the distortion pops up. Perhaps it is because too many parts or polyphony played during tutti passage?
    I'm now working on Mahler's 9th 1st movement... being described as one of his most glorious movement ever composed by Alban Berg.

It is nice to hear my favourite Mahler in GPO. Wonderful and a LOT of work. Apart from the distortion wonderful......

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by kanazo
    hmmm, i worked on for about a bit more than 2 weeks. I actually recorded all parts myself, played on keyboard...its tedious but I prefer doing that than just using notation program. Also I'm not sure how to get rid of distortion...once the music reaches ff or fff the distortion pops up. Perhaps it is because too many parts or polyphony played during tutti passage.
    It is the sheer volume that is too high. There are several ways to avoid it:

- reduce the overall volume in the sequencer
    - reduce the volumes in the kontakt player
    - play the fff softer when you know it is tutti (preferable)
    - use a limiter

This is different from a concert situation. In a live situation you want all instrumentalists play as loud as possible at a fff because then the contrast to the ppp is maxed. On a record this gets you into the trouble that either your loudest parts clip or your softest parts will be too low. I have been struggling with that also for quite a time.

Hannes

What is a ... "rar"... and how, and why, would one want
    to "unrar" a "rar" if one has one?

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

get power archiver, it is good for all kinds of compression formats.

kanazo,

as you see everything different from posting a streaming mp3 stops communication. I recommend you have a look at www.soundclick.com

Hannes

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    kanazo,

as you see everything different from posting a streaming mp3 stops communication. I recommend you have a look at www.soundclick.com

Hannes
    ok, i'll try to use that in the next project.

Kanazo, you did a very fine job and should be proud of yourself.
    It is very musical and I especially like the way you handled the soft dynamics. Very subtle and nicely balanced.

As has been pointed out, you need to do something about the distortion
    during the loud passages. Do you have access to Sound Forge? That has
    a "Restore Clipped Peaks" function that might help you out with the current
    mix.

If you decide to remix it, some type of compression plug-in might help to bring things under control.

-k

Go Back to forum