Topic: L'isle joyeuse (Debussy)

Share/Bookmark

L'isle joyeuse (Debussy)

Hi,

This is the Garritan Steinway.

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Showband.asp?id=12750

Jack

Re: L'isle joyeuse (Debussy)

it could use a lot more pedal, and there are some wrong notes here and there

Thanks for your comments.

Can you pinpoint any of the wrong notes or deficient use of pedal ?

Nice work on this, Jack, but I do have to
    go with the comments on working more
    with pedal.

With DeBussy especially, there's some
    careful pedal-juggling (much of it not
    typically in the scores) that an experienced
    pianist does almost intuitively... and it's
    not all that easily explained.

Jack, one suggestion that comes to mind
    is, if you can, see some live or recorded
    performances and actually watch the way
    a good pianist handles pedaling in pieces
    like this... it's probably the best and fastest
    way to get a handle on it.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks for your help, David.

Of course, there may be some question as to how realistic the pedal effect is on this system (using cc64).

In the past, I was used to using a Yamaha CLP50 for a sound source for piano music. I found the piano sound very good on that instrument, but there was a problem in that it didn't sustain notes (without pedal). The reason seemed to be that it required a periodic Active Sense signal, and since I depended upon players that don't provide that, I found that it was necessary to use sustaining pedal practically constantly with piano pieces.

With this system, that problem doesn't exist, and so I suppose I use the pedal a little more sparingly. However, I will take your advice on this.

Jack

wonderful played/realized. candy for my ears. thanks for posting, jack!

Jack, while the comments re pedalling are valid, I haven't noticed (on one listening) any obvious wrong notes. Debussy's piano scores are generally devoid of pedal markings so you have to go by your ear; As the piece progressed you got some very realistic effects. I find GPO Steinway's limitations are mostly shown up by impressionistic piano pieces, where subtle gradiations of tone and touch are required, and are so hard to achieve.
    Thanks for sharing this.
    Eugene

just a quickie: first two measures, the D in the last group of 32nd notes is still sharp, you're playing a natural.
    measure 9, last G is a natural, you have a G#.
    there are lots of little details like this which deter from Debussy's modal intent.

This piece was the climax of my concert program for the last piano competition I participated in, so I know it rather well.

as someone pointed out, it's VERY difficult to describe just how to go about pedalling a piece like this, but I can tell you that this is too dry. You need to add more pedal.

Oh, and measure 7 left hand (and elsewhere this figure shows up), is there any way to differentiate between the 32nd note arpeggio and the appogiatura to the 3rd beat? It makes a huge difference in the rythmic intent to have one played "straight" and the other "whoosh" as grace notes.

Thanks GigaLove and Eugene for your comments.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    just a quickie: first two measures, the D in the last group of 32nd notes is still sharp, you're playing a natural.
    measure 9, last G is a natural, you have a G#.
    there are lots of little details like this which deter from Debussy's modal intent.
    Excellent ear, Michel. I think it wasn't an inadvertant slip, but I thought that those were actually the harmonies.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    Oh, and measure 7 left hand (and elsewhere this figure shows up), is there any way to differentiate between the 32nd note arpeggio and the appogiatura to the 3rd beat? It makes a huge difference in the rythmic intent to have one played "straight" and the other "whoosh" as grace notes.
    I could give a 64th value to the appogiatura, but at that tempo I think that might be too fast. However, something inbetween could be done.

Would you have been pedalling through the trills? I think possibly you might have.

By the way, I listened to your cello sonata and was very impressed. I think it's a great piece, and that was a wonderful performance.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast