• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is it possible to switch mod wheel/aftertouch?

Share/Bookmark

Is it possible to switch mod wheel/aftertouch?

I would love to swap the default configuration and have vibrato "amount" linked to aftertouch and vibrato "speed" controlled by the mod wheel.
    Is this possible from within the program, or would I have to insert some sort of midi message changer into the midi line from my controller?
    Thanks,
    Steve

Re: Is it possible to switch mod wheel/aftertouch?

I do not know about the Strad side but you can change this either in your keyboard or in your sequencer.

There are many ways to switch cc channels. Look at the vst insert nF_CC2CC which you can find here:

http://asseca.com/nicfit/index.html

If your sequencer or host does not accept vst inserts at the input you could use energyXT for hosting the effect and then sending the midi via a virtual MIDI cable (Maple tools or MidiYoke) to your standard host. Or you use VSThost which is freeware. A good place to start is here:

http://asseca.com/hosts.html

Even easier may be
    http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/
    I did not use it yet but the description sounds good.

Hope this helps,

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Thanks Hannes for your tips. Those all appear to be PC solutions and I'm Mac, but you've pointed me in the right direction for a software solution.
    I did first look to DP for a DAW solution, but I haven't found it yet. I can alter the CCs, but I think that "Aftertouch" is not considered a CC, and I don't know where to look for it yet. I still hope to find out if I can accomplish switching AT for Modwheel within the Strad instrument interface.
    Thanks again,
    Steve

In DP, use the "reassign continuous data" plugin. You can change the mono/poly pressure (I forget which one is aftertouch) to any other controller.

Quote Originally Posted by theprez
    Thanks Hannes for your tips. Those all appear to be PC solutions and I'm Mac, but you've pointed me in the right direction for a software solution.
    I've just tried to do something similar, using MidiPipe (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/mac/16154). I have two keyboards driving Stradivari at the same time (routed in Ableton Live). The second keyboard is hijacked by MidiPipe so that its mod wheel maps to Channel Pressure (which I think is similar to Aftertouch; I'm new to this stuff!). Unfortunately, MidiPipe only seems to send a value of 0, regardless of what I do with the mod wheel.

If I record the midi data into Live and then edit the Channel Pressure data (by drawing a curve), it affects vibrato rate as expected. So... if I can get MidiPipe to do the right thing, I should be good to go.

I'll let you know if I make any more progress.

-Rick

Hi Rick,
    In the "Message Converter" section of MIDIPipe, you need to checkmark "exchange data bytes".
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Quote Originally Posted by vic_france
    In the "Message Converter" section of MIDIPipe, you need to checkmark "exchange data bytes".
    Mate, I owe you one! It works perfectly now. You've saved me hours of trawling around for a solution.

For anyone who's interested, I have a little Edirol PCR-M1 sitting directly on the top left-hand side of the Keystation Pro88. It fits perfectly there (although it obscures the programming buttons of the Pro88). I can operate the Pro88's mod wheel with my thumb and stretch my index finger to press the modulation pad on the PCR-M1 simultaneously. It sounds SO much better now that I can control vibrato rate; it was surprisingly sucky before.

Although this works really well, I might buy an expression pedal for the PCR-M1 so I can use my foot rather than finger to control vibrato rate. I'm actually a guitarist, so I want to try and use my guitar synth to drive SSV2, using the foot pedals attached to my two keyboards to control articulation.

SSV2 is just the coolest software instrument I've ever had the pleasure of playing with.

Thanks again for the tip, buddy!

-Rick

Go Back to forum