• Register
  • Help

Topic: Running Giga sampler from Mac Mini with MacBook?

Share/Bookmark

Running Giga sampler from Mac Mini with MacBook?

I would be interested in possibly running Giga sampler (GS3), from a Mac Mini (running windows) using a MacBook Pro as master machine running Logic Pro. I have no idea how exactly this can work. Basically everything centered around Logic but the Mini running GS3 being triggered or controlled from Logic? Possible? I haven't got the MacMini yet and would get it solely to run GS3. What's the minimum windows setup I need to get this happening? Can the Macmini be a simple slave box not requiring a monitor or does it have to be an independent computer running seperately?

Any info on the subject appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Running Giga sampler from Mac Mini with MacBook?

TC5,

you're treading in to treacherous, but interesting waters here but, yes....I *believe* you could do want you're looking to do by setting it up something like this;
    I have an almost identical set-up, except in mine, I have GS3 running on a PC (in your case will be a Windoze/BootCamp Mini) and Digital Performer (in your case Logic) running on a G5.
    The things you're going to need to make it all work would include;
    (1.) a midi interface from the Logic/Mac to the GS3/Mini (to get midi data to GS3) and
    (2.) an audio interface to take the audio our of GS3 and get it to your mixing desk.
    ((You can *try* replacing "(1.)" with an Ethernet solution like MOL, but I think that's still a finicky technology.))

A couple of things to consider before attempting this setup...
    (a.) **serious** RAM in the Mini...2GB would be nice, more would be better,
    (b.) **serious** (160GB or more), fast (7200rpm or better) external HD's firewired to the Mini

all that said, if you're running GS3 under BootCamp/XT, (*not* Rosetta), it "oughta" work.

good luck, let us know!

b myers, composer

btw, you're going to need *some* way to see the GS3 screen - - either a 2nd monitor hooked to the Mini or a KVM switchbox. consider those costs, as well
    Last edited by williemyers; 12-14-2006 at 07:26 PM. Reason: update
    Mac G5 DP 2.3, Os 10.4.11, 4 Gig RAM running DigiPerf 5.13, PTools LE 7.4, Sibelius 5, Finale 2008,
    P4 1.7 Gig, XP SP2, 2 Gig RAM,running GigaStudio 3.2,
    3 x 20" LCDs, 2 x MOTU MTP AVs, Digi 002r
    Kurz K2000r, Roland XV-3080, Emu Pro II, Kurz PC2r, Alesis DM-Pro, Kurz Midiboard

Thanks very much williemyers for your reply.

This setup does sound a BIT tricky...

The real solution... GS3 for Mac! (fat chance of that)...

Actually GVI for MAC should be in the pipe. But so far no official announcements about a release date. Maybe winterNAMM has some light to shed on the matter.
    'please tell about your luck with the mini and GS3. Sounds like it could work

Quote Originally Posted by unison
    Actually GVI for MAC should be in the pipe. But so far no official announcements about a release date. Maybe winterNAMM has some light to shed on the matter.
    'please tell about your luck with the mini and GS3. Sounds like it could work
    The sooner the better. I just bought a MacBook Pro and so far no luck running GVI in standalone mode, even though I am using Windows XP (after Boot camp format). Looks like I will have to go with Kontakt in the meantime

Go Back to forum