• Register
  • Help

Topic: Songs of the American West

Share/Bookmark

Songs of the American West

Here are the first two sections of a piece I'm writing for Wind Ensemble. See what you think. It's all there except for some percussion I can't get with FIN/GPO, like castenets, and temple blocks. I'm sure you will be able to tell where they would apply as you listen. Have fun ... Just go to:

http://home.comcast.net/~d.esta/mymu..._copy_copy.mp3

Dean

Re: Songs of the American West

Dean, Great introduction... powerful ... eases right into a great rhythm with the timpani and brass. I feel like I am hearing a little "south of the border" influence... Very playful wind parts and excellent use of transitioning and cadence. Soft and somber ending though... liked it.
    Please post more... Great job...

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by Choral Conductor
    Here are the first two sections of a piece I'm writing for Wind Ensemble. See what you think. It's all there except for some percussion I can't get with FIN/GPO, like castenets, and temple blocks. I'm sure you will be able to tell where they would apply as you listen. Have fun ... Just go to:

http://home.comcast.net/~d.esta/mymusic/Songs_of_the_West.24extmus_copy_copy.mp3

Dean
    Dean!

This is VERY well written! I enjoy your style very much. I am sure that when Garritan General MIDI version comes out - having those extra percussion sounds will be available to Finale users like us too.
    Thanks for sharing with us!
    Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    Dean, Great introduction... powerful ... eases right into a great rhythm with the timpani and brass. I feel like I am hearing a little "south of the border" influence... Very playful wind parts and excellent use of transitioning and cadence. Soft and somber ending though... liked it.
    Please post more... Great job...

Michael
    Thank you for the comments. Yes, the first tune is a well known Mariachi piece called, "De Colores." It is the one for which I would have loved to have castenets available. In the second one, I want temple blocks imitating horses hooves in a triplet pattern. Glad you enjoyed.

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Dean!

This is VERY well written! I enjoy your style very much. I am sure that when Garritan General MIDI version comes out - having those extra percussion sounds will be available to Finale users like us too.
    Thanks for sharing with us!
    Jerry
    Many thanks. Does anybody know when the Garritan General MIDI will be available?

Dean

Another well written -- and delightfully listenable -- composition,
    Dean. I can't put my finger on exactly how you do it, but you've
    also captured a "sound" (I'm speaking of the writing) that, to my
    ear, rings of the Old West.

Fine job on this... a pleasure!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Another well written -- and delightfully listenable -- composition,
    Dean. I can't put my finger on exactly how you do it, but you've
    also captured a "sound" (I'm speaking of the writing) that, to my
    ear, rings of the Old West.

Fine job on this... a pleasure!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    I really appreciate your thoughts on this, because I am dedicating the piece to the memory of my former Doctor, who was a true Renaissance man, including excellent abilities in music and packing mules and horses into the back country of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. He was a true mentor to me, but sadly, suffered from depression, and made one last trip into the wilderness where he took his own life. Since he loved the music of the West so much, I thought it fitting to honor him in that way. So, sorry for getting heavy here, but your observations really make me feel good about what I'm attempting here.

Many Thanks,

Dean

Go Back to forum