• Register
  • Help

Topic: Woodwind Quintet No. 1

Share/Bookmark

Smile Woodwind Quintet No. 1

Here's a piece that I wrote last week after getting inspired by jonnylost's starting lesson on 20th century music. This is set up in a 12 tone matrix. Though I bent the rules a little in the second movement for a little more pleasing transition, the rest follows 12 tone rules as I understand them.

Give it a listen even if you're not into 12 tone music. I think you will find it interesting. There are 4 movements and they are all in the same mp3.

link here:

Woodwind Quintet No. 1

Thanks to all who listen.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Woodwind Quintet No. 1

Hi Rich,

I listened to it and must admit that I am not ready for this.
    It is wonderful how you give the instruments their roles, but the overall musical idea escapes me completely. I think for the time being, I must grow in that kind of music.... so, still an infant.

Raymond

Thanks for the comments Raymond. I can appreciate your opinion of 12 tone music. It is, however a good idiom in which to free a composers view of rigid harmonic structure. Instead of being fixed on chord progression, the composer has the opportunity to pay attention the the melodic line and the counterpoint between it and other voices, much like early music before triadic harmony was developed.

I tried to get the feel (emotionally) of different standard movements in the suite that I wrote. Movement 1 incorporates a mini fugal passage, movement 2 is a slow ballad, movement 3 is a light, bouncy minuet and movement 4 is in a quasi-sonata allegro form. The form is there but the chromaticism of the melodic line make it sound so different to many listeners.

Thanks again for listening and taking the time to comment.

Rich

Hey, nice use of the row and subsets. I especially liked the fugal approach. But then, I spent a lot of time messing about dodecaphonic techniques.

Thanks,

Dean

I especially liked the fugal approach.
    Thanks, Dean. The pattern that I set up seemed to want to be presented in a fugal context. It work fairly easily. Even transposing the second and fourth entrances a fourth fit perfectly (to my ears anyway.)

I appreciate the comments. Thanks again.

Rich

Gosh, turn my back for a few days, and you're busy
    posting all sorts of new material, Richard... lol.

Personally, I'm not overly fond of twelve-tone music
    as a rule. An out-of-the-closet Neo-Romantic, to
    me, it too often sounds emotively neutral and sterile.

This is, however, a well-crafted, handsomely made
    piece, Richard; and I found it engaging, interesting, and
    satisfying. Regardless of my personal predispositions,
    you might just win me over... lol.

May I make one suggestion on the rendering: to me,
    this sounded rather too dry. Perhaps a little more life
    in the room...

Always my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks for listening, David. As I said in an earlier post 12-tone helps break up the too close ties I have to harmonic structure. It's easy to get locked into I-IV-V progression in 8 bar phrases and that becomes old hat and boring quickly. Thinking and working in such a chromatic medium like 12-tone gives one a chance to look for melodic line and rhythmic motif to carry a piece of music along.

As to the dry sound, I was only attempting to make the woodwind quintet sound a little more personal and close to the audience. Most of my exposure to woodwind quintet music has been as a clarinetist in a quintet. Therefore, I hear a quintet much the same way as I presented this quintet (a more from a players listening point not an audience).

As usual, your comments are always good and I am always amazed at how much listening you do on this forum. Thank you, so much for all that you do here. and the comments and suggestions on my works especially.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    Thanks for listening, David. As I said in an earlier post 12-tone helps break up the too close ties I have to harmonic structure. It's easy to get locked into I-IV-V progression in 8 bar phrases and that becomes old hat and boring quickly. Thinking and working in such a chromatic medium like 12-tone gives one a chance to look for melodic line and rhythmic motif to carry a piece of music along.
    Absolutely, Richard! I do a great deal of "exploring", myself --
    it's essential to be fluent in a variety of techniques in order to
    expand the richness of your compositional resources... and
    regardless of my personal tastes, I've written a number of
    twelve-tone pieces, as well. As you say, you learn to think
    in new ways and new directions by doing this; and that's of
    great value in itself.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum