• Register
  • Help

Topic: cubase vs giga studio3

Share/Bookmark

cubase vs giga studio3

Hello,
    I'm new to the midi world... I have been recording music for orchestra and piano using cubase with vst instruments in a studio. I'd like to start working at home due to short budget.
    I was reading some articles about the new Giga Studio 3... It sounded very impressive...
    I was just wondering what are the pros and cons of each...(cubase vs giga3)
    The complete vienna music library is expensive; i think it's around $5000.
    but when I looked at the Giga studio3 it is about $700. And it has about 17g of the vienna instruments as well....
    One of the problems that i have faced in the studio is that, I couldn't get the strings to play fast passages. It would sound very fake. I'm looking for real sounding instruments, with different bowing techniques for the strings.

Also when it came to mixing, I didn’t have that many options for placing the instruments in a room and giving each instrument its proper place within the orchestra.
    Please let me know if Giga studio3 is a good investment for me or not?

Thank you in advance,

Re: cubase vs giga studio3

Giga is great but is meant to work in concert with a sequencer like Cubase, not as a replacement for one. It is just a sampler/sample engine with no sequencing capability (no midi recording, editing, etc).

I would recommend that you decide what sample library or libraries you want to buy and get whatever sampler is required to run them (Giga, Kontakt, etc), if you need a sampler at all (some have a sample engine built in).

Keep in mind the system requirements/recommendations for the library/sampler/sample engine as well - often they may run best or only run on a dedicated box. This can bite you if you spend a lot of $$ on Giga and expensive libraries only to find out that they are too much for your main system and you need to buy a seperate box (or boxes) just to run them.

thanks for the reply.
    this might sound like a dum question,
    but is Giga studio3 like helion, which helps you to search through the vst intrsuments?

and also what about the mixing capabilities in giga. Cause i was reading about it.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ptcompositions
    thanks for the reply.
    this might sound like a dum question,
    but is Giga studio3 like helion, which helps you to search through the vst intrsuments?

and also what about the mixing capabilities in giga. Cause i was reading about it.

thanks
    Yes, GigaStudio and GVI are kindof like Halion at a basic level.

I'm not familiar with any special mixing capabilities - you have volume, pan etc controls for the different tracks in the GS mixer, but it's all pretty much standard stuff.

Go Back to forum