• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square

Share/Bookmark

JABB Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square

Here is rendering I have been working on for a couple of days:

www.stradjazz.com/Nightingale_061209.mp3

It's an arrangement of "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Sqaure" [unknown arranger !] out of my Big Band library.

I reckon it's about 60% finished - lots of tweaking still to do - but I think it;s sounding quite good (if you excuse the rhythm section parts that are just for reference at the moment).

I'm thinking of changing the arrangement to have a double time feel sax soli in place of the piano solo towards the end because the piece seems to lose all momentum at that point at the moment.

Let me know what you think...I know it's not finished, so I'm fully prepared for all criticism and ideas for improvement.

I hope you enjoy it anyway
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: JABB Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square

What a great old song that is! I have played it with big band groups many times in the past. Whoever wrote this chart did a fine job.

Speaking as an arranger, I think that the piano solo near the end provides a nice contrast and I personally wouldn't change it one whit.

The bari sax sounds especially ballsy and "gruntingly" realistic. Nothing puts a solid bottom on a tight ensemble chord quite like a bari sax, in my opinion.

Excellent job. Thanks for posting this.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Thanks for the input Larry.

I love grunty Baritone sax!! I think it's one of the best samples in JABB.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

I really like the tune, the arrangement (BTW, I agree with Larry, I would leave the piano solo just the way it is. I don't sense a loss of momentum, just a very nice contrast) and the sounds you have created ... esp. saxes. I would love to hear a vibrato on the lead bone if that is possible, I don't know, having never used JABB. Really cool ... congrats!

Dean

Sounds really good to me Richard. You have really improved with the JABB library since your first few posts. You are sounding more "real" everyday.

Great job, Richard.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Richard, I like this very much, one of the best JABB treatments I have heard,
    sincerely

Roberto

Excellent Job Richard. !!!

The horns sound wonderful, and this is one of the best use of ensemble Saxes I have heard since the Libraries release. !!

I am looking forward to the finished version.

regards Joe

Thanks guys - I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment.

The more tweaking I do, the more I find to tweak there are just so many controllers and variables in JABB.

But it's such a good feeling whenever it comes together!

I'll post a revised version soon.
    Richard N.

Thanks for bringing this one by, Richard; I don't think
    I've heard this since, since... well, a long time... lol.
    Very sublte, perfectly nuanced performance on this;
    what a pleasure to hear...

And a wonderful job on the rendering, I must say; those
    saxes... sweet work indeed. I don't know if you're
    supposed to say this about Jazz pieces -- there might
    be some rule against it -- but:

Bravo!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum