• Register
  • Help

Topic: GVI, dongle, registration, etc

Share/Bookmark

GVI, dongle, registration, etc

I just got my GVI upgrade, and was happy to see the dongle. As far as copy protection/licensing goes, the dongle has worked well for me, unlike the nightmarish issues I've had with Giga's registration process in the past.

What I want to do is install on a seperate computer, but also install on my main daw as a vst. I don't mind switching out the dongle, but wanted to make sure this is doable. With the old GS, you pretty much have to decide which computer you want it on, and stick with it.

Before I go to the Tascam site, is there anything I need to know? Does this dongle work like Steinberg's in that once you get your licesnse loaded on the dongle, you can pretty much use the software on any machine?

Tascam has been helpful for the most part when I encountered registration problems in the past, but I would love to kiss goodbye waiting on the email with the reg key, or trying to use that backup registration which never works.

Re: GVI, dongle, registration, etc

I was surprised there wasn't any installation instructions. I installed mine today.
    I will install it another another machine and see what happens.

It's my first dongle.

Smile Re: GVI, dongle, registration, etc

Registration is for support, future upgrades, etc.

There's a note about this at Tascam Support, under GVI.

The dongle works out of the box (preloaded). (At least mine did.)

Try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Miz

Try it!
    Wow, you are right! Windows had to find the driver, but after that it fired right up!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Miz

Try it!
    Now that's sounds! ..as it should be if you ask me.

Thumbs up Re: GVI, dongle, registration, etc

No more regisatration problems!!! This is great.

it looks like GVI might be my go to sample player now as I didn't use Gpulse that much really, it was so CPU intensive, so. Besides, I like to put everything in Cubase dry and go from there. GPulse the vst might be in my future, as it really does sound good, but using it inside of Gigastudio never worked well for me.

The old mixer was pretty awesome, but could be daunting. With the stacked tracks, I could see never missing it.

I've only poked around a bit, but so far I'm quite impressed. I'm a little surprised there is no "gps" selection in the browser thingie, but selecting "all files" shows them, and selecting them seems to work fine. I guess "presets" is the new term for "gsp", eh?

I like the sleek look. It's very inviting, which is a big plus in these days of cluttered gui. Good job Tascam. I've have other soft samplers, but I always keep coming back to Giga because it just feels right, and of course has killer sounds.

This looks like what I've been waiting for. I'm upgrading to a duo-core Pentium, and I hope to have Cubase and Giga working together. Seems much better than the wrapper I had been using, and the dongle is great.

When you are not using GVI do you just pull the dongle out or are you suppose to remove it some special way.

One of my machine froze after removing the dongle.

Other than that GVI is quite stable.

There's no reason to pull the dongle when not running the protected app. I have more than one license on mine so when not running one app, I might be running another. Anyway, I've connected & disconnected the dongle many times without incident. Unlike the iLok, which tends to like to be removed via the system tray.

- G

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera
    There's no reason to pull the dongle when not running the protected app. I have more than one license on mine so when not running one app, I might be running another.
    Yes... that's where the USB ports on the back of the computer come in handy for those of us who aren't always dashing off to play live or switching back and forth between "home," and "away" computers. It's nice being able to just plug the dongle in once and forget about it!
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Smile Re: GVI, dongle, registration, etc

Yep, props to Tascam! They've made copy protection about as unobtrustive as possible on GVI.

They really (IMO) seem to have turned the corner on customer treatment. Previously (IMO) they've had "off the charts" engineering (GS3 Orchestra) but didn't pay enough attention to their customers.

I have a suggestion for those of you new to "dongleworld".

You can buy (really cheap: $5) USB extensions, usually 4 sockets on a cord. Plug your dongle (dongles) into this and NOT directly into your computer. Let your dongle hang, long and loose, or relax, laying on the floor.

There are 2 advantages to this:

1. When your dongle is plugged directly into your desktop (or laptop), it's at attention. It is amazingly easy to physically damage a dongle by bumping it from the side.

You may think your dongle is safe in that protected, dustly area behind your machine, but trust me, it's not. (Unless you unplug it, before you work on your computer, but then you'd have to be smart!)

2. Suppose you're moving GVI from machine to machine. You never physically disconnect the dongle. Rather, you disconnect the USB extension. If that ever fails, you can pick up another one almost anywhere, on the cheap.

It's elephant insurance, boys!

Go Back to forum