• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Midi File Crisis....

Share/Bookmark

Question Midi File Crisis....

I hope this isn't too stupid of a question. I received a midi file emailed to me that came without an extension. I can only assume that it may have been a mac midi file (since this is how mac files usually appear). I can add a .mid or a .midi extension and it will play in winamp/media player, etc. but I cannot open it in Sonar. I also tried a midi file converter (incase it wasn't a type 0 or type 1) but the program told me that there was "extra unknown information at the beginning of the file" and won't convert it. This again, would be typical of a mac file because the extensions are embedded at the front of the file. So my question is........

How the heck can I open the file to see the midi data?

Maybe this is just a corrupt file, but the person has not emailed me back any information regarding the midi file yet. I am hoping to resolve this in the meantime. Any suggestions?

Re: Midi File Crisis....

http://www.tcmidi.com/midimac.htm

seems to have some converter discussion there.

Jerry

Thanks. This may be just what I need. I will check it out.

Jonathan

I keep reading this topic's title as "Midlife crisis"...

What's wrong with me?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos
    I keep reading this topic's title as "Midlife crisis"... What's wrong with me?

bleach your hair, buy a very fast sports car, and run off with very fast young women.... oh, and take 2 of these and call me in the morning

*print this for use as a Dr's excuse if need be

I think that the correct suffix for a Standard Midi File is .smf and not .mid

PC's are really odd when it comes to those things, perhaps you might want to try the .smf
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Well, neither ".smf" or the filetype translator worked......I guess I will have to wait to see if I get another email back with a new midi file. Maybe it did come through corrupt...

jkerr,

I bet the file isn't a midi file, it could be the native program file. I've had this happen before.

The strange thing is that you can add a midi file extension to it and it will play in winamp, etc. It plays it midi too - not audio. Maybe it is the native format.....strange though.

If anybody wants to take a crack at opening it in their programs, pm me. I use Sonar on pc.

If you want to send it over to me - I will try opening here in Cubase SX (who's file extension is .cpr) to rule that out. I will also try it as a midi file just to be sure on my system as well - I know how frustrating it can be when you recieve a file like this.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast