• Register
  • Help

Topic: Any sources for Orchestral MIDI files

Share/Bookmark

Any sources for Orchestral MIDI files

Hi all,
    It's been a long, long, LONG time since I've posted here. I think more than a year easily. I hope everyone has been well.

I've just ordered the Orchestral update of GSt3 and I guess it comes with some new libraries that are more orchestral in nature. As I have no experience in terms of using libraries like this I was wondering if there are any good sites for downloading orchestral MIDI files, and MOST ESPECIALLY MIDI files that work well with these libraries.

Any and all pointers are very welcomed.

Thanks,
    Mark

Re: Any sources for Orchestral MIDI files

www.classicalarchives.com

but these are mostly GM midi files, it takes a lot of work to get plain ole midi to sound good with any orchestral library ...

The address you got is good. The advise is good also, warning you that it will be lot of work to convert general MIDI files to GS3 MIDI. To help you a little, it would be nice to know which is your sequencer program. If you use this forum, and expect to have answers, it is a good idea to include your basic hardware and software list. For now I will assume that you have something like Sonar or Home Studio or Cakewalk as a sequencer.
    In Cakewalk I can have two or more files open at the same time. So, I first would load your GM midi file you downloaded from the archives. I would select all tracks, and would select by filter all controls and delete them. Then I would save this file to replace the original. Make a templete in your sequencer to have a full orchestra, and save it as your default. In GS3, I would create a templete matching the templete in the sequencer, using the VSL 24 bit samples which came with GS3 as much as possible. I suggest you should look into the recently opened thread regarding the most efficient way to set up GigaPulse. Set up GS3 DSP inputs and groups as suggested by Jon Fairhurst.
    When finished, check all the instruments that they sound fine and your templete in GS3 stays the same if you start playing in the sequencer.
    Now load the MIDI file you saved before, select a track, and COPY and Paste into the empty templete, on the track where it should go. Do this with all the tracks, then save this templete as a work-file. If you play this, it will sound bad, because all the mixing controls are missing. Now comes the fun of going track by track and set your Volumes at 101 in the sequencer, set your velocities in the GS3 Mixer window with Controler 1 to about 65, and your main tool for dynamics,Control 11 to 60 also in the Mixer window. As you are soloing the tracks, you can draw controler curves of Controler 11.
    With this method you can do a rough setup in a couple of hours. Mastering will be done after. The second time you do this with an other file, it will take less time, because your templetes are ready. Make sure you save both the GS3 and the sequencer templetes as you want them.
    Hope this helps.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by YBaCuO
    www.classicalarchives.com

but these are mostly GM midi files, it takes a lot of work to get plain ole midi to sound good with any orchestral library ...
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Vanya
    The address you got is good. The advise is good also, warning you that it will be lot of work to convert general MIDI files to GS3 MIDI. To help you a little, it would be nice to know which is your sequencer program. If you use this forum, and expect to have answers, it is a good idea to include your basic hardware and software list. For now I will assume that you have something like Sonar or Home Studio or Cakewalk as a sequencer.
    Sequencer platform - 002 Rack/Pro Tools LE 6.7 running on a 3GHz XP Pro laptop.
    Sampler1 - GSt 2.54 (soon 3) running on a Athlon XP 2600+ XP Home desktop. (ATA sample drive)
    Sampler2 - LinuxSampler running an an Athlon XP 1600+ PlanetCCRMA desktop. (1394 sample drive)

In Cakewalk I can have two or more files open at the same time. So, I first would load your GM midi file you downloaded from the archives. I would select all tracks, and would select by filter all controls and delete them. Then I would save this file to replace the original. Make a templete in your sequencer to have a full orchestra, and save it as your default.
    OK up to here.

In GS3, I would create a templete matching the templete in the sequencer, using the VSL 24 bit samples which came with GS3 as much as possible. I suggest you should look into the recently opened thread regarding the most efficient way to set up GigaPulse. Set up GS3 DSP inputs and groups as suggested by Jon Fairhurst.
    Will do. Thanks.

When finished, check all the instruments that they sound fine and your templete in GS3 stays the same if you start playing in the sequencer.
    Now load the MIDI file you saved before, select a track, and COPY and Paste into the empty templete, on the track where it should go. Do this with all the tracks, then save this templete as a work-file. If you play this, it will sound bad, because all the mixing controls are missing. Now comes the fun of going track by track and set your Volumes at 101 in the sequencer, set your velocities in the GS3 Mixer window with Controler 1 to about 65, and your main tool for dynamics,Control 11 to 60 also in the Mixer window. As you are soloing the tracks, you can draw controler curves of Controler 11.
    Cool. Thanks for the numbers. That's what I was looking for. My original question was really whether there was a site for MIDI files where this was already done. I guess not...

With this method you can do a rough setup in a couple of hours. Mastering will be done after. The second time you do this with an other file, it will take less time, because your templetes are ready. Make sure you save both the GS3 and the sequencer templetes as you want them.
    Hope this helps.

Ted
    It helps a lot Ted. Thanks for taking the time.

With best regards,
    Mark

Go Back to forum