• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Logic or Digital Performer for Lib based composition/pgming?

Share/Bookmark

Logic or Digital Performer for Lib based composition/pgming?

Hi guys,

has anyone had experience with both Logic and DP and can offer their thoughts on which program may be best for comprehensive midi applications whilst still being decent in the audio recording/editing stakes? (unlike Cubase)

Your thoughts are appreciated.
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

Re: Logic or Digital Performer for Lib based composition/pgming?

I totally agree. I left DP behind about 3 years ago and have never missed it once....well ok maybe once!

Logic kicks! It's such a great program and it's so deep that every day I'm learning something new about it.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

How's the work flow on it Kays. Are you able to do things rather quickly and easily with Logic? I'm debating between DP, Logic and PC based CubaseSX3

Jose

I use both Logic and DP and I prefer the latter. DP lost a lot of users in the last few years during the transition to OSX, and for good reason. They were slow to port the app over and ended up porting a slow app. In the meantime, they lost the lead in feature development to the other sequencers.

Fast forward to the present and you see a shift once again, but this time in DP's favor. Logic is still more efficient CPU wise, but DP in its recent version is the most stable version of any sequencer I've ever used.

None of this really addresses your question. A lot of people say great things about Logic's midi editing, but I prefer DP in that category. Especially for orchestral writing. Using the graphic editor in solo mode allows you to highlight the tracks you want to hear and edit. I can't do this in Logic and it drives me crazy.

Also, using multi-timbral plugins in DP is so incredibly easy. Logic not so much. Just take a look on the EWQL forum for instructions. They're a page long!

I also think DP beats Logic hands down in audio editing too. Sample accurate in the editing window, as it should be.

Why do I even use Logic, you ask? Because I have to. So many people I work with use it. For me the best things about Logic are its included instruments. Sculpture is one of the best synths I've ever played. But writing with Logic for me is a chore.

It's all about preference. What works well for me may not for you and vice versa, but I think you need to give both apps a good try before making a decision.

It's hard to imagine anyone being unhappy with either one of them.

I am a Digital Performer user as well. I also think the current version 4.5 is the most stable version they have ever released. The only bad opinion I have about Logic is simply an opinion (which everyone has). I don't like looking at it. Looking at Logic makes my eyes hurt after while. Which is why I ultimately settled on Performer.

Macworld just reviewed the programs and came to some favorable conclusions about Digital Performer.

http://www.macworld.com/2005/04/revi...er45/index.php

But it really comes down to personal preference in the end.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

For midi stuff, I think DP work better for me.
    But looking at those plugins and VI that Logic has,
    I would really like to have Logic too.

I don`t know why MOTU won`t add
    a lite version of MACH-5, or lite version of
    Altiverb or something...Logic even has a guitar amp simulator...

Quote Originally Posted by Veron
    I don`t know why MOTU won`t add
    a lite version of MACH-5, or lite version of
    Altiverb or something...Logic even has a guitar amp simulator...
    Well...the cost of buying Digital Performer + Mach5 the whole program is about the same as buying Logic. (And MACH5 will run gigastudio samples on a MAC as well). So...if you really want the VI as well...it is available at the same price point. With Logic, you have no choice and it is bundled with the program. With DP...it is all a la carte. Logic does have a load of nice plugins (but so does DP). The new Masterworks EQ in DP is amazing and VERY flexible. Again...it all comes down to taste & comfort level.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Thanks for all your thoughts. Very informative.

cheers,
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

How's the work flow on it Kays. Are you able to do things rather quickly and easily with Logic? I'm debating between DP, Logic and PC based CubaseSX3
    Logic is fast, the fastest sequencer I've ever used. I am able to handle as much workload as I am right now only because of Logic, the fact that it has such a quick and easy implementation of Apple Loops and Garage Band instruments, alongside channel strip presets makes it an extremely fast environment to work in.

Plus for me, EXS is every bit as solid as GS.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast