Topic: AMKS - A new MIDI key switch technology by Aviel Segal

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation AMKS - A new MIDI key switch technology by Aviel Segal

A new MIDI key switch technology
    that can switch thousands groups of samples in real time
    by using two MIDI keyboards

Please use the following link to see presentation :

www.avielsegal.com/AMKS.wmv

You can also try my extensive WinXP tweaks to make your computer a super power PC
    www.avielsegal.com and click DAWOptimization

Aviel Segal, Israel

================================================== ========

I will reply all posts here so it will always stay on top for easier reading.

Thanks for all of you.

* Sean Beeson : I'll place an MPG format soon, thanks for the remark.

* Nick Baztdorf wrote : "each keyswitch on one keyboard calls up a whole new set of keyswitches on the other one?"
    No. It is much simpler than that.
    Each combination of keys send one MIDI command to Kontakt to switch its groups,
    similar to the conventional technology.
    Kontakt has to be set it's group start options accordingly.
    The two MIDI keyboards do NOT interfere with each other ...
    one for switching, the other for playing.
    By the way, i'm too shy to be seen in a video .... the technology matters, not the man behind it.

* ZareOne : AMKS does not contradict dynamic approaches.
    It merely concentrate on switching ALL groups of samples of ANY instrument
    providing that the target instrument will be setup accordingly :
    ALL it's playing techniques should be loaded to groups inside instruments with the same MIDI channel.
    Any other dynamic approaches can be applied after group switching is completed.
    Is there any other technology that let us switch and play ALL groups of ANY instrument in real time ?
    Even VSL did not come up with a solution on how to play their own multi groups instruments in real time.

* Jibrish & mirage
    Currently, AMKS is a fully functional running inside Emagic's Logic 5.5.1.
    It can communicate with any other sequencer & software sampler as well through any (virtual) MIDI ports.
    I'm in search for a company that, preferably, do both :
    re write all AMKS programming lines to a stand alone application or an independent "add-on" device AND
    will re arrange their instruments samples groups so AMKS can switch them.
    The obvious choice is VSL, though it does not necessarily be it.
    Any suggestions who it might be ?
    Thanks guys.

I've already emailed Native Instruments, hope they will be interested.
    AMKS presentation shows how many pads can be blend dynamically.
    Is there any instrument or other technology capable of real time switching and playing hundreds/thousands of pads ?

* Ohernie : You got a very good point. Thanks.
    That's exactly why AMKS has a SAVE function.
    By PLAYING his/her MIDI keyboard in REAL TIME, the musician can real time previews ANY sound,
    and SAVE any of his favorite ones to AMKS save location, thus switching the groups with his own logical sorting.
    No other technology offers switching and saving ALL the groups of those multi groups instruments in real time using MIDI keyboard only.

I've sorted those hundreds of groups in a certain logical sorting that would be appropriate in any other instruments.
    I've even offered the MMA - "MIDI Manufacturers Association" www.midi.org to form a new standard for playing techniques sorting,
    much like the General MIDI, but it needs to be offered by one of the MMA members.

The current conventional key switch technology is so limited that it is completely un appropriate with todays multi groups sampled instruments like VSL.
    AMKS might be TOO appropriate.

On the other end/hand, switching with AMKS is exactly like regular playing.
    You can practice it exactly as a pianist practicing a piece of music.
    Eventually, after a while, you can switch and play with AMKS in a live concert !!

* General remarks :
    1. AMKS can switch ANY group of ANY instrument of ANY sampler that has Group Switch Conditions - EXS, Halion, Kontakt etc.

Re: AMKS - A new MIDI key switch technology by Aviel Segal

Can we get an avi or mpeg of it as well? Or a mov file?

Thanks,
    Sean Beeson
    www.seanbeeson.com
    Composer for videogames, film and television

Interesting.

Anyway, I prefer other aproaches (more dynamic in my opinion) to performance like Garritan Stradivari and GPO or the Vienna Instruments. Also there's something in development by FX-MAX called AMP (http://www.fx-max.com/amp.html), but it has been in beta stage for a looong time.

Just my two cents.
    -Dani-

ZaraOne - FX-Max AMP has been delayed as some of the cool stuff we wanted to do required technology from Cubase4 (amongst other things) - but is now finished, we're working on tutorial vids and user manuals as we speak....

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Livingstone
    FX-Max AMP has been delayed as some of the cool stuff we wanted to do required technology from Cubase4 (amongst other things) - but is now finished, we're working on tutorial vids and user manuals as we speak....

Ian
    Good news! I sent an email via FX-MAX website to ask for more information, and never got a response, so I thought it had been abandoned or the authors were too busy. I think this is gonna be a eseential tool to simplify our creation process.
    -Dani-

Unfortunately the Aviel by Aviel on Aviel .wmv only has audio of Aviel talking through the Aviel MIDI technique on my machine - no pictures of Aviel demonstating Aviel's Aviel MIDI technique by Aviel.

I didn't make it all the way through, but am I right to assume that each keyswitch on one keyboard calls up a whole new set of keyswitches on the other one?

Maybe you have to play the video with Windows Media Player instead of Winamp.

Regards,
    Justus

I forget what plays it - Quicktime or another utility - but usually Macs have no problems playing .wmv files.

Macs play wmv files just fine w/o a proprietary utility. However I have a utility that automactically changes WMV files to Qt and even that doesn't work with the link provided. Seems intriguing but hard to tell without the movie.

(Just watched it ...)

My head hurts! Is there a Mel Bay for keyswitched instruments?

Ernie

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast