• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to turn off midi patch changes

Share/Bookmark

How to turn off midi patch changes

Is there a way to block midi patch controller messages from GS3 side that change the instrument in GS3? I hook up my electronic drums to Larrys drums and woa they sound good, however if I move the knob (using Vdrums TD-10) the drum controller changes the instrument I have set up in GS3.

Re: How to turn off midi patch changes

I see in the HELP file there is a midi filter setup tool but I will be dammed if I can find how to open that window, I have looked at all the drop down lists and i just cant find it. Why can't they friggin first tell you HOW to get to a menu before they tell you how to use it, geees.

From the help menu

Filter MIDI

This tool allows you to filter any type of MIDI data event or group of events so that the GigaStudio will ignore them.

Quote Originally Posted by metron9
    I see in the HELP file there is a midi filter setup tool but I will be dammed if I can find how to open that window, I have looked at all the drop down lists and i just cant find it. Why can't they friggin first tell you HOW to get to a menu before they tell you how to use it, geees.

From the help menu

Filter MIDI

This tool allows you to filter any type of MIDI data event or group of events so that the GigaStudio will ignore them.
    You should be able to do that with an iMIDI rule applied to your instrument. In the box that shows loaded instruments right click and then choose iMIDI. You're on your own from there. ;-)

- Mark

Thank's, it's those secret clicks and secret key combos the lack of a save or apply button in various screens that make me think this program was originally created for Mac's or written by mac programmers.

Testing it out I wonder why you can't apply it to a stacked instrument, you have to select all of the instruments outside the stack. I guess you have to buy a book on how to operate a $300.00 program, as the Help files are pretty lame.

I actually paid $25,000.00 for a program and it had some laser printed sheets in a three ring binder for documentation. It has saved me thousands of hours of work on graphics though. As a programmer myself, I understand very well that programmers usually are not good at making instruction manuals, too busy working on code.

Just happy I can hook up my e-drums to Larry's awsome drum sets.

How do you find the latency??? Between stick hit and sound??
    Just curious if you feel you have to accomodate for anything.
    Yes seems like a great combo.
    Later
    Bri

Quote Originally Posted by metron9
    Thank's, it's those secret clicks and secret key combos the lack of a save or apply button in various screens that make me think this program was originally created for Mac's or written by mac programmers.

Testing it out I wonder why you can't apply it to a stacked instrument, you have to select all of the instruments outside the stack. I guess you have to buy a book on how to operate a $300.00 program, as the Help files are pretty lame.

I actually paid $25,000.00 for a program and it had some laser printed sheets in a three ring binder for documentation. It has saved me thousands of hours of work on graphics though. As a programmer myself, I understand very well that programmers usually are not good at making instruction manuals, too busy working on code.

Just happy I can hook up my e-drums to Larry's awsome drum sets.

Hi,
    Glad the idea helped. As for stacked instruments I think the whole stacked concept is presented in sort of a funny way. Stacked instruments are really jsut multiple channels that use the same MIDI input channel. I *think* that they are handled inside the program by just routing the MIDI input to multiple gig instances. That said I would guess that you have to select each instrument for exactly this reason. Since the MIDI input is routed to multiple gig files you have to write the rule within each gig instance. It would be nicer if you could write it for the stack but this is actually more powerful. With this model you can choose all velocities below a certain level go to one instrument and all others go to another.

Anyway, glad it helped.

As for the comment on Larry's drums are oyu using the ones from GSt3 Orchestra or have you purchased a package? If they are the ones from GSt3-O then how have you set them up? In a stack? Some other way? Are you using iMIDI? I haven't tried to do anything real with them yet. Just loaded them and hit a few notes to hear the nasic sounds. They do sound quite **big**.

Thanks,
    Mark

I simply loaded the drum stack on Channel 10, pluged in the drum modual midi out as general midi plays on 10, and started playing, Yes I just have the sample kits that came with GS3. I plan to modify one note, the snare rimshot, is not on the correct note. But with GS3 editor it will be a snap to fix that. Not sure if I can modify the note on the V-drum modual as that would be the proper place to do it I would think.

Go Back to forum