• Register
  • Help

Topic: Soft pedal /filtering in Gigastudio 3

Share/Bookmark

Soft pedal /filtering in Gigastudio 3

Hi,
    I am currently using PMI's Old Lady, and I have the soft pedal controller controlling the low pass filter cutoff setting.

This makes a passable soft pedal, but it has a flaw. Gigastudio will apply the filter blindly to all notes, so if you hold some notes and then pump the soft pedal you get this wah-wah effect.

Is there any way to implement the below correct soft pedal logic in Gigastudio?

Soft pedal down event -> apply filter only to those notes which are played in the future.
    Soft pedal up event -> do not apply any filter to any notes played in the future. Do not remove filter from any notes still being played.

Examples: press and hold a note (with or without sustain pedal). Pump the soft pedal up and down. Result: Nothing should happen.

strike a note and sustain it with the sustain pedal. Press the soft pedal. Play some more notes. Result: The first note continues to ring at full timbre, and the rest of the notes are played with a softer timbre.

Thanks,
    -C.

Re: Soft pedal /filtering in Gigastudio 3

I wonder if this can be done in iMIDI. The solution would be to reduce the velocity of notes played while the soft pedal is down.

That would be similar to the way that my mom's old upright worked. I think it just changed the leverage of the keys. I seem to remember that grands shift the keyboard to strike fewer strings. OMG. Yet another set for the piano developers to sample. How many terabytes will the ultimate piano library need?

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I wonder if this can be done in iMIDI. The solution would be to reduce the velocity of notes played while the soft pedal is down.

That would be similar to the way that my mom's old upright worked. I think it just changed the leverage of the keys. I seem to remember that grands shift the keyboard to strike fewer strings. OMG. Yet another set for the piano developers to sample. How many terabytes will the ultimate piano library need?

-JF
    On a sampled grand piano, this is not quite the desired behavior. True, there is a slight reduction in volume, but it is not much. While only 2 of 3 strings may be hit, the third string still vibrates in sympathy with the other two. Also, we (classical pianists anyway) almost never use the soft pedal to play softer. We use it to change the tone/color of the piano.

Anyway, without sampling the piano with the soft pedal down, the best we can do is approximate it with filtering.

I just thought of a brute force solution, but it would double the size of the sample set. What you do is extract all the .wav samples from the .gig file, apply your low pass filter, then have gigastudio play the filtered samples when the soft pedal is down. You would need four sets of samples: 1. all pedals up, 2. sustain pedal down, 3. soft pedal down, and 4. soft pedal and sustain pedal both down. I'm not too familiar with the instrument editor, so I don't even know if the fourth case could be handled.

-C.

Quote Originally Posted by cmwck
    Hi,

Is there any way to implement the below correct soft pedal logic in Gigastudio?

Soft pedal down event -> apply filter only to those notes which are played in the future.
    Soft pedal up event -> do not apply any filter to any notes played in the future. Do not remove filter from any notes still being played.

Examples: press and hold a note (with or without sustain pedal). Pump the soft pedal up and down. Result: Nothing should happen.

strike a note and sustain it with the sustain pedal. Press the soft pedal. Play some more notes. Result: The first note continues to ring at full timbre, and the rest of the notes are played with a softer timbre.

Thanks,
    -C.
    No problem, some additional programming needed though.
    What you should do is add another dimension, one for the softpedal.
    This one is an exact copy of the others (same number of velocities, up and down sustain etc) but with the filter applied. It may be a good idea to change the velocity crossing points of the velocity layers also while doing this to allow a bit smoother sound. That would simply be making the velocity range of each layer a little higher, so that with equal velocity values you get one step softer samples playing.
    Combining this in one GS3 gig would soon become a bit of a problem since you would have to double the amount of dimensions and allocated samples/regions.
    An easier solution is this: make a copy of the instrument you use and rename it to "instrument-softpedal". Dd the filter and velocity changes there and save. Load both instruments in a stack (GS3 only). Now edit both instruments so that the normal one only plays while the softpedal is up and the second one only plays when the soft pedal is down. You can do this with iMidi.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Go Back to forum