• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: realistic piano pedals

Share/Bookmark

realistic piano pedals

Hi all, I'm new here, and a bit confused. Help would be much appreciated...

I already have a laptop, and like the idea of a software piano. I've looked around, and searched through forums, but I'm a bit overwhelmed... It seems many of the products have reasonable sounds and dynamics, but as far as being "inspiring to play" and "realistic", these 3 things stand out:

-harmonic sympathetic resonances
    -continuous pedal control ("half-pedaling"? a misnomer?)
    -3 pedal control (sustain, una corda, sostenuto)

Do any of the products out there implement all these things nicely?

I've also read about Kontakt 2 scripts... Can the scripts out there do all 3 to any K2-compatible piano?

For those out there who care about accurate pedal control, what are you using? I'll even consider a standalone keyboard workstation if I have to...

Re: realistic piano pedals

Hi unphased,

Do you have a digital piano or keyboard controller yet, or not?

Don't know of a software piano with all that, but I'm with you on the interest in it. I have a GEM (Generalmusic out of Italy) Pro 2 and I still use it for real-time-play, composing, for the reasons you stated.

Also use Worra's (SampleTekk) for some things. Somebody had a version of sympathetic resonance... can't remember who it was.

I remember GeneralMusic had a 3 pedal/half pedaling unit you could buy separately for the Pro2. I don't know if it was exclusive to GeneralMusic products or not.

I use latch pedal for soft pedal via K2 script. it works, but doesn't do half pedaling.

For harmonic sympathetic resonances I like kornel's K2 script, which also offers harmonic sympathetic resonance for half pedaling.

Richard, I haven't purchased a controller yet... After pouring through the forums, many people seem to think the best keys are only found on the higher end digital pianos. It seems like quality control is an issue for brands like M-Audio and CME? I've heard good things about the Casio PX-310 (for a cheap good-feeling controller), and the Roland RD-700sx (more expensive all-out digital piano). Haven't tried them out in person (yet).

That is an interesting pedal, hywyn. I guess any continuous controller pedal could work, though, assuming the software/hardware piano supports it... If that product features continuous controls, not just switches (didn't say), then it would be convenient to have all 3 together. Examples of single continuous controller pedals are Roland's DP-10 and DP-8.

Has everyone seen PMI's K2 scripting page? And the preview of their next super-duper piano?

Seems like they support sympathetic resonance, and all 3 pedals. I can't quite tell if "half-pedaling"/continuous-pedal-control is there, or not... Anyone? The descriptions seem to say "yes", but the screenshot of the midi data for the sustain pedal shows it merely jumping off/on. Sounds quite promising, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Dirk
    For harmonic sympathetic resonances I like kornel's K2 script, which also offers harmonic sympathetic resonance for half pedaling.
    So the amount of sympathetic resonance depends on the sustain level, which depends on the amount the pedal is depressed? If so, very cool. Do the scripts also support half-pedaling for the sostenuto, considering it's pretty much the same sustain function, but only on a select group of strings?

http://music.mezo.com/

It has a soft pedal option. Not sure about sostenuto

but Kontakt2 comes with a 3 pedal scripts, so you 'could' have sostenuto pedal script running before Kornels script. The key componant would be if you had 3 pedals that can send half pedal information.

Quote Originally Posted by hywyn
    Yes, it looks really nice, but I think it doesn't work as a continuous-pedal-control.

Quote Originally Posted by unphased
    So the amount of sympathetic resonance depends on the sustain level, which depends on the amount the pedal is depressed? If so, very cool. Do the scripts also support half-pedaling for the sostenuto, considering it's pretty much the same sustain function, but only on a select group of strings?
    I use Kornel scripts :
    For sustain, there is a (discrete) half pedal zone with adjusted harmonic generation. Personnaly, I use a separate K2 script for instrument half pedal / repedaling and Kornel script for harmonics only.

I have never seen a script managing sustenuto, but it should be easy to create.

One comment about una corda pedal : Scripts can only decrease velocity or trigger filters. Ivory is the only piano I know with separate una corda samples. Not a continuous effect through, but the real "una corda" sound.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast