• Register
  • Help

Topic: Scarbee VKC in K2 :)

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Scarbee VKC in K2 :)

Just to say I'm very happy to be using the Vintage Keyboard Collection in Kontakt 2 now. (loading time is so much faster than in the Halion Player). A very worthwhile crossgrade, IMHO

Re: Scarbee VKC in K2 :)

I just ordered this during the sale. Hoping it flies across the ocean as I've lusted after these keyboards for some time. Can anyone match the new names up with the real/old names? The Scarbee site seems to be steering clear of any mention of the originals.

Funky = clav?
    Edgy = wurly?

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by fizbin
    Funky = clav?
    Edgy = wurly?
    Yep, with "Sticky" being the Pianet (whose hammers were in fact sticky )
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Yes, a great collection :-)

Quote Originally Posted by vic_france
    Just to say I'm very happy to be using the Vintage Keyboard Collection in Kontakt 2 now. (loading time is so much faster than in the Halion Player). A very worthwhile crossgrade, IMHO
    I'm happy too !
    I'm having a lot of fun with those keyboards, and with the VKFX (so much great presets...)

The only K2 drawback is the release management. There is still the same bug when release samples are triggered by the sustain pedal moving up. I once had the pb with sampled piano too.
    Example : play a loud sustained note with the rhodes (oupss sorry CEP), let the sound fade a while (still pedal down), and then play gently the same note and release the pedal immediately : "boing", loud -loo loud- release sound !
    Just like if Kontakt reset the release timer on the last played note, and play as many loud superposed releases as identical notes caught in the sustain.

There is two way to solve this :
    - wait for K2.x.x......?
    - write a script to control the release samples...(like Kornel tried for piano)

Unfortunately, I'm neither patient nor programming gifted so....

Anyway, I love those electric pianos

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent
    There is two way to solve this :
    1. wait for K2.x.x......?
    2. write a script to control the release samples...(like Kornel tried for piano)
    1. NI support told me yesterday that the next update is to come at the end of october

2. there's a script for this written by Nils/Kotori. It has been posted in the "unmentionable" other forum.

But back to VKC: I like it too. The only issue that I have is that every sample seems to start with about 5 ms of silence, which adds noticeably to the overall latency.
    Besides that, the sound is great

Update: Kotori's script is a little bit complicated to use. Here's a simpler version that works well for me:

{*************************************************
    Release Mask
    Copyright (c) 2006 Marc Halbruegge

This script is free software; you can redistribute it
    and/or modify it under the terms of version 2.1 of the
    GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the
    Free Software Foundation.

This script is distributed in the hope that it will be
    useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied
    warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
    PURPOSE. See the GNU Lesser General Public License
    for more details.
    *************************************************}

on init
    declare %lastEventId[128]
    end on

on note
    %lastEventId[$EVENT_NOTE] := $EVENT_ID
    end on

on release
    if (%lastEventId[$EVENT_NOTE] # $EVENT_ID)
    ignore_event($EVENT_ID)
    fade_out($EVENT_ID,0,1)
    end if
    end on

Good news !

I'll try the script, because I'm not sure K2 update will fix the thing.

About the additional latency, did you tried to adjust sample start point ?

I haven't been bothered by the latency.
    It's been a while I haven't played the real thing (I have a good friend who own one, lucky him), and I have the feeling that the real instrument don't react "superfast" too, (it has a "slower feel" compared to an accoustic piano, or a stage digital piano). It's maybe just a feeling due to the keyboard touch.

Thanks for the script Marc. It is indeed very simple to use. I could just add that our scripts are a bit different. Your script is essentially a self-mask script specifically for release samples while my script inhibits release samples when the pedal is pressed. If the pedal is down and one note is played your script will cause a release sample to be played when the pedal is released while my script will not. I don't mean to say that either is better than the other, they are simply different. Maybe my script works better for real pianos like the Black Grand and your script more naturally reproduces the desirable behaviour for CEP.

Btw. In case anyone is interested, to use my script with CEP one needs to move the release trigger groups to the end using a cut-'n-paste operation (or modify the script slightly).

Go Back to forum