• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL Performance Tool vs K2 Scripting?

Share/Bookmark

VSL Performance Tool vs K2 Scripting?

Is it true that the K2 scripting will eliminate the use of VSL Performance Tools in anyway?

Thanks.

hc.

Re: VSL Performance Tool vs K2 Scripting?

Hi hc!
    Possibily it will! But: KSP (and Kontakt) has some annoying bugs that large and complex scripts aren't easy to write in KSP. And the new VSL Cube stuff (i watched it at Musikmesse Frankfurt) is impressing - i would say that their programmers did a great job and it will take a long time to get near to that with KSP...

Cheers,
    Benjamin

Quote Originally Posted by hangee_77
    Is it true that the K2 scripting will eliminate the use of VSL Performance Tools in anyway?

Thanks.

hc.
    If you get the Kontakt license for any of the Horizon library, there's no need for the Performance Tool (maybe just for advanced repetition control).

Nothing from First or Pro Edition is converted to Kontakt.

Regards

Yes, i know! But: take a look a the new VSL Cube with it articulation matrix and everything! I think this can't be done easily in Kontakt...

Cheers,
    Benjamin

But the VSL Cube has no Performance Tool. The Performance Tools was needed for First, Pro and Horizon libraries. Just different things we're talking.

thanks for the replies, in fact yes I was mentioning about the older VSL products.

i have the VSL Pro & I like the Performance Tools so much, really useful tool.

however there is something that I don’t like about it that too many sequenced steps just to open the performance tools. (Creamware Scope (my audio card), virtual midi ports, performance tools, gigastudio, sequencer)…too hassle. Yet sometimes when the computer crashed, I have to do all those steps again.

so I was just thinking to move to K2 as a VST plugins, and everything is saved under the sequencer file.

Is the K2 scripting harder than the Performance tools?

Hc.

Once you used the performance instrument in K2, you just wont go back to GS. ..cause it's sooo much more confortable.

I'd be looking to crossgdade from the pro ed to Opus 1(K2) if i were you.. That
    ''shouldn't'' be too expensive since you already own the samples.. It's not as complet as the pro edition but it's a start...

Did you ask on the VSL forum, if someone managed to translat the Pro Ed to K2 format?... Some body must have tried this...

Good luck!

just as a sidenote: the samples are not owned, they are licensed (i.e. usage of the samples for your work)
    there is an upgrade-path from oput to the pro edition, but nothing like a cross-, side- or downgrade from the pro to opus.
    AFAIK the pro edition has not been converted successfully to kontakt so far - it would be a tedious task remapping everything to get it working as intended (with or without scripts) which is finally the reason VSL does not offer a kontakt version for the pro edition.
    christian

Well, the repetition tool in Kontakt is rather unintuitive compared to the VSL tool in exs.... So I think it is about the same if you use external VSL tool (nicer) or the Kontakt script.
    Also the the alternation tool is not there - I think Nils has some replacement for that. I think with the new group functionality a alternation script comes closer - but still Kontakt's editing/sample organisation architecture is not really useful for that (like HALion which has a really hierarchical structure for the loaded samples and can host sub-groups in groups, etc., also independence is more advanced).

So legato tool works fine, repetition get towards the limits of the scripting UI and alternation towards the limits of Kontakt's interal structure IMO.

hope that helps

Go Back to forum