• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Psalm 121

Share/Bookmark

Psalm 121

Last weekend in Sacramento, CA ... the premier of this piece took place. To really hear it, one would need the choir and the text, which is not possible in GPO/Fin, of course, but here the w.w.'s play the SSAATTBB choral parts, accompanied by GPO Fl., Eng. Hrn., and strings. You will have to imagine the text which begins with, "Lift up my eyes to the hills," etc. See what you think ... just go to:

http://home.comcast.net/~d.esta/mymu...ore.musex..mp3

Merry Christmas to all,

Dean

Re: Psalm 121

I'm really impressed. You did this all in Finale and it's dynamics and human playback only?0 It really is quite nice. And yes, not to detract from the piece but it is awesome. You are quite the Romanticist! Congrats
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    I'm really impressed. You did this all in Finale and it's dynamics and human playback only?0 It really is quite nice. And yes, not to detract from the piece but it is awesome. You are quite the Romanticist! Congrats
    Many thanks. Yes, just Fin2007, GPO, and Human Playback.

Dean

Hi Dean:

If you made the premiere info of this piece available before its performance, I missed it. I live in the Sacramento area and would have loved to attend the Premiere.

Really great writing and orchestration, Dean.

BRAVO

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Dean, a good music teacher friend of mine told me that he was talking to one of his fellow professors and they were discussing "if I could do it all over"

The orchestral professor said....
    "yes, I would do it different, you have lyrics"

Some say that the pipe organ is the king of instruments, and it is amazing when it breathes over a full orchestra, but when people sing with lyrics, ahhhhh,,,, that is in my opinion God's ultimate instrument.

Very nice arrangement Dean!

Dan

Smile Re: Psalm 121

My thanks for the kind words. I agree, choral music is a very special offering of grace in this world. Long may it wave. The premier was done by the River City Chorale, a Sacramento based community chorus. They advertised quite a bit on the local PBS network ... perhaps not enough.

Dean

Thumbs up Re: Psalm 121

It's gorgeous, someone must have helped you with it.

Thanks for posting it, i would love to hear it with it the choral.

Merry Christmas!
    David

Dean,

Very fine writing, classical in nature. The scoring is great. It would be great to hear it live with voices.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

I too am very impressed. What a nice sound you create.

You must forget this golf nonsense and concentrate on music.

Welcome to the club.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Dean,

Very fine writing, classical in nature. The scoring is great. It would be great to hear it live with voices.

Gary

www.garybricault.com
    Many thanks. Yes, it did turn out to sound a lot like Schumann, or Felix, or that ilk, didn't it? As you probably noticed in the beginning and ending, I was using mostly quartal harmonies ... in the last few things I've written, I've tried to reconcile my penchant for quartal harmonies with tertial ones (probably inspired by studying Hindemith). I'm sure you noticed that in my grad school writing (e.g., Orthochromatics) that my row was built totally in fourths and seconds (and their complements, of course), so this is sort of my evolution. I think they can co-exist ... at least they seem to in this piece. Who knows where it will lead? And yes, it really was nice to hear it with the voices ... esp. since it is one of my favorite texts.

If you made it all the way through that exegesis, thank you for being patient.

Dean

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast