• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Topic: orchestraton fun

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Talking orchestraton fun

    I love tinkering with GPO - one of my favorite things is trying out some non-orchestral music with it - in this instance orchestrating an organ piece with GPO. I also love that I can work right in Finale and (assuming I correctly mark the score) get a really expressive performance without too much tinkering.

    This time of year is always busy and stressful for me, so I decided to take an hour or two out today to relax, and begin orchestrating one of my favorite organ pieces for orchestra - Fauchard's Choral. This late romanitc/Impressionist piece is full of memorable melodies and gorgeous lush chord progressions. Here is the first 2 pages or so (about 1:30):
    http://evensongmusic.net/audio/FauchardOrch1.mp3

    When I get around to finishing this, I'll post also the organ version, so folks can see what the original sounds like. If I don't go absolutely barking mad in the next 2 weeks with all of my stuff to do, I'll spend some time working more on the orchestration, and let you all have a listen to the progress.

    Comments are welcome!

    (thanks, Mr. G for hours of enjoyment!)

    ~~

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: orchestraton fun

    Jonathan,

    Hey great work and output in a few hours. That's what I love about Finale and GPO. You did this work proud.

    No need to go barking mad, unless you are doing it turning out works like this.


    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member fastlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Shelton, Washington State
    Posts
    2,978

    Re: orchestraton fun

    It's quite lovely and soothing. Different from your more edgy posts.



    Phil

  4. #4

    Re: orchestraton fun

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Jonathan,

    Hey great work and output in a few hours. That's what I love about Finale and GPO. You did this work proud.

    No need to go barking mad, unless you are doing it turning out works like this.


    Gary

    www.garybricault.com
    <chuckle>



    Thanks Gary.....

    This really is one of my favorite organ works - Fauchard isn't played much these days, but he wrote some LOVELY music... 4 organ symphonies and some other works like this choral.

    Cheers,

  5. #5

    Re: orchestraton fun

    Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    It's quite lovely and soothing. Different from your more edgy posts.
    Phil
    <chuckle>

    Thanks... I think...

    I know I give you folks some crazy music to hear, but I do like tuneful stuff too LOL

    I'll post more as I have time to work on it - I hope to do another page or 2 this week.

    Cheers,

  6. #6

    Re: orchestraton fun

    Jonathan:

    Sounds like an organ arrangement with "real" instruments inside instead of "instrument stops." Will really appreciate listening to the organ play this for comparison.

    Thanks for sending this. Your Finale skills are really great.

    Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

  7. #7

    Re: orchestraton fun

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Jonathan:

    Sounds like an organ arrangement with "real" instruments inside instead of "instrument stops." Will really appreciate listening to the organ play this for comparison.

    Thanks for sending this. Your Finale skills are really great.

    Jack
    Thanks, Jack - Glad you liked it!

    I fear not much more will get done on this before Christmas - we'll see what develops, though. I may just need a few moments away from the nuttiness, and then more will proceed

    Finale + GPO is cool.... just MARK THE SCORE and it works(!)

    Cheerio,


  8. #8

    Re: orchestraton fun

    Jon, I really like the chord changes and the mood in this piece.

    The rendering is very pleasing to the ears. I have to say... if this recording were real instruments played by real musicians, I would have no desire to hear an organ version, but I may change my mind after hearing a really good organ version.

    Keep it soft though... like it is. Nice Jon!
    Dan

  9. #9

    Re: orchestraton fun

    Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Jon, I really like the chord changes and the mood in this piece.

    The rendering is very pleasing to the ears. I have to say... if this recording were real instruments played by real musicians, I would have no desire to hear an organ version, but I may change my mind after hearing a really good organ version.

    Keep it soft though... like it is. Nice Jon!
    Dan
    Wow....

    Such nice words from our Rendering Master DPDan!

    The organ version is nice, too - and this piece really doesn't ever stay loud - it crescendos in spots, but never stays there very long.

    It is interesting to try and capture the spirit of the organ version with an orchestra - I'm enjoying the challenge!



    Cheerio,

  10. #10

    Re: orchestraton fun - next 1:30

    Heh....

    Took a few moments at the end of my day to do the next few sections of this little experimnet:

    http://evensongmusic.net/audio/FauchardOrch2.mp3

    Am I weird? As I orchestrate this my mind "hears" the colors I want from the orchestra, and I can translate them into the score quite quickly.... it reminds me very much of registering a piece on the organ...



    Enjoy...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •