• Register
  • Help

Topic: Do CC22 and CC23 really work on section strings?

Share/Bookmark

Do CC22 and CC23 really work on section strings?

The GPO update manual says cc22 and cc23 can be used for Section Strings While I can hear the effect on say a solo oboe (so I know my midi is working), no matter what amount of cc22 and cc23 I throw at eg Violins 1 sus & short, nothing happens. cc21 for length is working ok, so I think I know I am using the updated version. Any ideas - can someone else try it out?

Re: Do CC22 and CC23 really work on section strings?

.....and if cc22 and cc23 don't work on section strings, can anyone suggest how I might de-machine gun something like this bit of viola:

www.l-music.co.uk/6thFragment2.mp3

I can't use 'alternating' sections as I could for solo oboe, flutes, etc - as there aren't enough 'spare' string sections to manage this (and i suspect the AG ones are from the same pool as the non ag ones). I tried using the 'alternating bow' short bow patch switching to the normal viola for the normal length notes, but the transition doesn't sound natural to me.

A round of applause for anyone who can give me more advice (or confirm there is no way out) and extra points for anyone who can guess what this fragment is from!

Well I'm having more luck now using Viola KS and being a bit more careful with velocities, length and mod wheel to mask the switch between the short bows and sus and short - does this sound better now?!:

www.l-music.co.uk/6thFragmentFixed.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by L0W
    Well I'm having more luck now using Viola KS and being a bit more careful with velocities, length and mod wheel to mask the switch between the short bows and sus and short - does this sound better now?!:

www.l-music.co.uk/6thFragmentFixed.mp3
    YES!!
    Now please describe in more detail what you did.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Go Back to forum