• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Question about GEM

Share/Bookmark

A Question about GEM

Dear All

Am I correct in thinking GEM is basically an enhanced Universal Sound Module of the sort that comes with Sonar/Cubase etc?

ColinD

Apropos of nothing in particular, I bought an Allman Brothers compiliation CD the other day - really great stuff.

Wish I'd written the waltz from DS's Jazz Suite.

Re: A Question about GEM

Good someone started a thread about GEM. I have a question too. A friend was looking for a GM module, but i want to know how GEM will manage the midi controllers. Will be it in a "compatible" way, i mean, you load an standard midi file and it just sound? or will be it in the GPO way, trough modulation wheel? or both? or a conversion is needed? or... you say me.

Thanks!
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by marce
    Good someone started a thread about GEM. I have a question too. A friend was looking for a GM module, but i want to know how GEM will manage the midi controllers. Will be it in a "compatible" way, i mean, you load an standard midi file and it just sound? or will be it in the GPO way, trough modulation wheel? or both? or a conversion is needed? or... you say me.

Thanks!
    It will use General Midi conventions, not GPO. So instruments are controlled with velocity as in standard GM, rather than CC1.

This is why it's called a General Midi library.

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82
    It will use General Midi conventions, not GPO. So instruments are controlled with velocity as in standard GM, rather than CC1.

This is why it's called a General Midi library.
    Thanks the answer!
    Marcelo Colina

Go Back to forum